Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ever since I bought this truck, there has been some play in the steering wheel. Not a lot, maybe a 1/4” but enough to feel. It’s almost like a dead spot. Google found not much related to Nitros with this issue, but did refer to things like adjustments to the steering box worm gear as a temporary fix. Another thing I found was the steering wheel itself might be a bit loose, according to a thread I found on here. The play exists whether the car is on or off, and I haven’t found any observable play in a linkage, so I’m kinda stumped. Video below is from my truck just now.

Steering wheel play

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
most common cause is the track rod ends, you may be able to pin point the cause by rocking the steering wheel left and right with the engine off (like in your video), whilst someone else checks the steering components, sometimes if you rock the steering wheel fast you can hear the loose component
but thats quite alot of play you have, if you have high milage it could be a small amount of play in several places,

·
Registered
07’ SLT 4x4 Lifted, 3.7 auto
820 Posts
I agree. Tie rods def could cause. Inner and outer. Good way to check the suspension is take it to a reputable alignment shop. The won’t align it with worn out suspension components. They will tell u what needs replaced to align it( after that they’ll offer to do it at a redic rate lol) if nothing else tell them no and go back home. Shouldn’t charge you if they didn’t align it....or couldn’t/wouldnt. Besides that I’m almost at a loss lol thats A LOT of play!. Check the u joints on the steering column? I know on 2nd gen suburbans the shaft is known to go bad and cause rattling and play in steering.

Reactions: Testeclops

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That’s kind of what I was thinking too. Like I said, this has been like that since I got the truck five years ago. It doesn’t seem to have gotten worse, it since I drive it all the time, I may not notice it getting worse. I’ve had it aligned in the past and no one said anything about parts being worn. Next time I take it for an oil change (local shop does it for the same price as if I did it myself) I’ll have them check it out. The video is with the engine off, and keys out, so the wheel is locked. That’s just how it has always been and I havent been bothered enough to fix it until now. Mileage is just under 140k, purchased at 109k.

·
Premium Member
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
29,175 Posts
Check the steering rack bolts. Loose bolts and rack moves before wheels do.

KK Libby guys have had several with loose broken racks.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
i think i need this intermediate shaft, i have a Random clunking sound and pretty sure it is coming from there,

·
Registered
07’ SLT 4x4 Lifted, 3.7 auto
820 Posts
ive been dealing with a random clunking as well..................finally found mine to be the driver side bushing the cv axle rides on in the axle tube..............the shaft you guys speak of is what i was speaking on for the suburbans...thats what mine needs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts