Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new here, and new Dodge Nitro owner. Nitro just threw a PO302 code.I was wondering since the coil serves 2 cylinders. Is it possible that it could work on the odd side and be bad, on the even side with the ignition wire?

·
Registered
2007 R/T
586 Posts

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
you must have the 3.7l engine,
early 3.7l engines had 6 seperate coils and later models have 3 double coils,
it is a good question you are asking,
the only info i have is a wiring diagram for 2010, i'll take a look and see if it can answer your question,

·
Registered
130 Posts
Brand new here, and new Dodge Nitro owner. Nitro just threw a PO302 code.I was wondering since the coil serves 2 cylinders. Is it possible that it could work on the odd side and be bad, on the even side with the ignition wire?
Sure. You could have a bad wire, or bad connection. It's probably not likely, but could happen. Have you changed the plugs? They are supposed to be changed every 30K miles.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
the answer is no, if the coil part of the module was bad then both plugs would fail, But the issue could lie in the plug lead connection, but i doubt it,
the 3.7l engine only runs correctly with the cheap NGK copper plugs, all other plug types seem to give misfiring issues ( even the expensive type ),

Reactions: intruder

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a 2010 Nitro last winter and didn't check much on it prior to driving it, nothing very deep anyway because it was brutally cold when I got it. It ran but I wasn't that impressed by it and my mileage stunk.
Early spring, after a horrendous rainstorm, I started it and the engine sounded like crap, stuttered and gave me a SEL light. Had a similar code to yours but for cylinder 4. I inspected the coils and wires and they looked fine. I bought new plugs and when I was changing them out saw that no existing plug was anywhere close to their proper gapping. The book says .043 to .045, all but one was up around .060-.075.
After the new, properly gapped plugs were in, it ran like a champ so I'd start there if I were you. Be warned the plug wells on my 3.7 are very deep and despite allegedly being covered by a shield, I found considerable debris in a few of mine so if you can blow them out good before removing your old plugs, you probably should.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Exactly. Plugs must be changed every 30k. Mine weren't either, and like yours the old ones had nearly double the correct gap. Ran much, much smoother after just putting in new plugs.
The good news is that it's really easy to reach the plugs. and it costs less than $15 for a full set. Just get either the Champion copper plus 347 or NGK V Power 6987.

The NGK's come preset to the 0.044" gap since they are the OE plugs.
The Champions come set to 0.030" and need to be adjusted.
Do not buy iridium or platinum--copper works best in the 3.7, others have tried and all gone back to copper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Exactly. Plugs must be changed every 30k. Mine weren't either, and like yours the old ones had nearly double the correct gap. Ran much, much smoother after just putting in new plugs.
The good news is that it's really easy to reach the plugs. and it costs less than $15 for a full set. Just get either the Champion copper plus 347 or NGK V Power 6987.

The NGK's come preset to the 0.044" gap since they are the OE plugs.
The Champions come set to 0.030" and need to be adjusted.
Do not buy iridium or platinum--copper works best in the 3.7, others have tried and all gone back to copper.
Yes I took was very pleased with the economy of this fix. I bought NGKs because that's what folks here on the forum recommended. The change also ushered in something else I didn't expect, a little 'ECO' lamp on my left cluster which apparently indicates I'm getting optimal mileage. The vehicle didn't come with so much as an owners manual so lots of surprises. This forum has been a godsend so thank you everyone whose brains I've picked. Aside from the ignition/firing issue it also had a clogged heater core, which I changed earlier this summer (big job). I rather like my Nitro now that it's running well. I'm 65 but have only owned 5 vehicles in my life. I've never had either an automatic transmission or anything with an all wheel drive option. I'm looking forward to a full winter with my Nitro now that it's ship shape. Thanks again for the friendly safety net everyone here affords people like me who don't have the cash to take a vehicle in when things go bad. It's very much appreciated. Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving. SKOL Vikings!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts