Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I bought my Nitro, one thing that I don't like is the headlights. They are very dim in comparison to my last car (Halogen equiped like my Nitro) and in comparison to my wife's Jeep Grand Cherrokee Limited with Halogens also.

I just took it to the dealer and they tried lowered the aim of the lights. I will try that out tonight. I called Dodge and they said there was no calls associated with the headlights on their records.

Just curious how everyone out there perceives their ride's lights!

· Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
Well I dont do much night driving, but when I do, I have not noticed any major problems. In my opinion, the lights on my Nitro are aimed a bit too low. It is doing a good job of lighting up the ground right in front of my car, but it is hard to see anything in the distance.

· Registered
348 Posts
My Nitro's Headlights Are Awesome!

Ever since I bought my Nitro, one thing that I don't like is the headlights. Just curious how everyone out there perceives their ride's lights!
It was an unusually dark night on February 5, when I picked up my Nitro R/T. It was still daylight when my wife and I arrived at the dealership (about 25 miles from our home) in her new Toyota Yaris, but it was pitch black by the time the paperwork was completed. I followed my wife home. I found the Nitro's headlights to be exceptionally bright and powerful. They are easily the best headlights on any vehicle I have owned. I used the high beams sparingly, since my wife was in front of me. The times I used them, however, I was thoroughly impressed by the brilliance and power. When we arrived home, my wife exclaimed that the Nitro's headlights seemed particularly bright and powerful to her.

- David

· Registered
148 Posts
I don't like mine much, but I'm used to larger trucks, which I assume have lights mounted higher which will throw a little further. Of course, until the Nitro all my trucks were pre-Mercedes, and I also noticed the headlights on my Benz sucked -- easily the worst headlights of any vehicle I've ever owned (the Benz was my 40th car, the Nitro is #42, and I'm to #45 now).

I find them... adequate at best, I guess you could say.

I seem to remember reading about some changes to headlight rules recently. They have to be dimmer now, perhaps? Does anyone know anything about that? I can't remember the specifics.

· Registered
788 Posts
Low beams & fogs together & it's tollerable, but weird. The edge of the light is more defined than anything I've ever had.... and it's DARK on the outside!
High beams just plain suck. If anyone has a direct plug-in setup that is better, I'm all ears. I'm pretty unlikely to modify the plugs or wiring to get the super-bright blueish lights that I hate looking into though.

· Nitro Addict!
541 Posts
Don't like your lights, change them to HID

My HID kits for the headlights and fog lights are on their way to my house as I type this (hope to get them in the next couple of days).

Total cost for both kits, including bi-xenon headlights (not just single beam, includes second bulb for high beams) was $385. I ordered them from Xenon-Eyes and got a $20 discount by buying both kits at the same time.

I went with the 6000k color which might have a slight blue tint, but should hopefully give me at least twice the light output. If you don't like any blue tint you can go with a lower number color that will be pure white and give you the better lighting you are looking for. The 8000k to 12000k colors have the strong blue to purple tinting, but the light strength actually goes down when you go past the 5000k to 6000k color range.

Good luck finding the solution you are looking for.

· Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
I feel ya

My head lights arent exactly up to par from what I was driving (a '96 Tahoe) I dont know if the size of the lights are different r what, It seems like they need to be centered or maybe put some hyper white zeons

· Registered
425 Posts
I rather like the headlights on the Nitro. I was worried, coming from the bi-xenons (HIDs) of the Murano that they wouldn't be as wide (a lot of deer in southern Ontario). If you think these headlights have a sharp cutoff, you should see the bi-xenons on the Murano!

· Registered
180 Posts
Headlights

Ever since I bought my Nitro, one thing that I don't like is the headlights. They are very dim in comparison to my last car (Halogen equiped like my Nitro) and in comparison to my wife's Jeep Grand Cherrokee Limited with Halogens also.

I just took it to the dealer and they tried lowered the aim of the lights. I will try that out tonight. I called Dodge and they said there was no calls associated with the headlights on their records.

Just curious how everyone out there perceives their ride's lights!

Our Nitro SXT 4X4's headlights are very good. The brights are fine and the fog lights really light up the road!! No complaints!!!:pepper::4-sunshine:

· Registered
2,606 Posts
I think the headlights are fine on my Nitro. I do notice that they have a very sharp cut-off both top & bottom-like a slot of light. I find that the factory fog lights fill in the bottom part of this cutoff very nicely. If you don't have factory fog lights, this may be something to install. You can use the factory cutouts to mount your own. I was very surprised at how good these fog lights are. They are fine to drive with without even putting the headlights on.

· Registered
53 Posts
I'll have to side with the "dim light" group. As delivered the lights had a dark area just in front of the Nitro and then an ok light pattern. High beams were very hi. Cranked the light setting down a few turns and now the pattern is 'ok'.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.