Dodge Nitro Forum banner

Poor range on keyless entry (remote entry)

10K views 37 replies 14 participants last post by  SeattleJoe 
#1 ·
More often than not, I cannot get the doors to unlock (or lock) unless I'm less than 20' away from the rig.

It's an intermittent problem, and the dealership has not been able to replicate the problem.

I'm worried that sometime it simply won't unlock the doors (and disable the alarm) ... sure, I can gain entry the old fashioned way (actually using the key in that slot thingy under the door handle :D ) and then disable the alarm by turning the key in the ignition.

Anyone else with this issue? I'm ready to demand that they keep the Nitro for a couple of days (and supply me with a free rental) until they can duplicate the problem!!!

:eek:

#2 ·
More often than not, I cannot get the doors to unlock (or lock) unless I'm less than 20' away from the rig.

It's an intermittent problem, and the dealership has not been able to replicate the problem.

I'm worried that sometime it simply won't unlock the doors (and disable the alarm) ... sure, I can gain entry the old fashioned way (actually using the key in that slot thingy under the door handle :D ) and then disable the alarm by turning the key in the ignition.

Anyone else with this issue? I'm ready to demand that they keep the Nitro for a couple of days (and supply me with a free rental) until they can duplicate the problem!!!

:eek:
same problem with my nitro. too bad i didn't buy the extended warranty for any future repairs on this..........currently have around 36,659 miles, its a 2007/slt. if you find out the problem, let us know, thanks.

mcnabb (kaleos) in louisiana.............

#3 ·
same problem with my nitro. too bad i didn't buy the extended warranty for any future repairs on this..........currently have around 36,659 miles, its a 2007/slt. if you find out the problem, let us know, thanks.
The original dealership did some kind of service on it ... can't remember if it was a new antenna or what. But it apparently didn't solve the problem.

Now if it will only misbehave when my current dealership is watching, then they can make it "official" and try to figure out the problem.

#4 ·
This device complies with FCC Rules Part 15. Operation is
subject to the following two conditions: (1) This device may not
cause harmful interference and (2) This device must accept any
interference that may be received including interference that may
cause undesired operation.

There are several factors that can affect and reduce remote control range. Among these are:

1. Proximity to buildings and automobiles.

2. Proximity to high power transmitters (television, radio, cellular, HAM radio, etc.).

3. When the battery becomes weak, the remote control range becomes short.

Vehicle construction and the surrounding environment cause reflected waves that may interfere with the low power RF signal transmitted by the remote control. This interference may result in "dead spots" around the vehicle; places where remote control signals will not be accepted by the main unit.

#5 ·
There are several factors that can affect and reduce remote control range. Among these are:

1. Proximity to buildings and automobiles.

2. Proximity to high power transmitters (television, radio, cellular, HAM radio, etc.).

3. When the battery becomes weak, the remote control range becomes short.
Great info ... thanks for that!

Problem is, mine fails to operate properly ANYWHERE except the dealership! Well, it occasionally works correctly, but not very often. When it's parked outside my condo, I approach from the left rear corner ... I'm sometimes right up to the rig before the door will unlock.

There's no way I could disable the alarm from my condo, less than 50' away. No way I could activate the panic alarm either!!!

:i_rolleyes:

#7 ·
Yes the remote is spotty, sometimes its how you are holding it
Well, right arm outstretched, left arm up in the air, standing on my toes, teeth clenched, left eye squinting.

No wait, that's when adjusting the Rabbit Ears.

Same difference though.

:i_rolleyes:

#11 ·
I really never noticed an issue. A few times I was able to operate the remote from well over 100feet if I held the key above my head. In no case has mine had a probem at about 50 feet or so.

Maybe 50 feet is bad? It just never bothered me.

Ken
I'd be thrilled to have a range of 50'! As of now, that's not more than one time in ten. :mad:

:cool:

#13 ·
hi Joe, I'm having the same problem with an 08 RT I just bought last week. I saw your post in another thread on a simillar issue started by JerseyGirl and posted a possible fix, but not full tested or confirmed in anyway. What i did was remove the Key Fob cover as if to replace the battery, noticed the contact pins and bent them upward a tad bit to get a better connection. I also bent the star like looking contacts on the circuit board itself so that it would make contact with the negative side of the battery a little better as well. This so far has helped make locking/unlocking a little more consistent and with greater range. As soon as I get to a store I'm going to replace the CR2032 Battery with a brand new one. I'm thinking that maybe these things have poor conections and/or a bad batch of batteries. I'll post back after replacing battery. This problem seems to happen with both of my keys so there does seem to be a systemic problem. In my 05 Magnum I got a range of about 500 feet with the key in my pocket and many house walls and a garage between me and the car, the design of the new Key fob is slightly different than the magnums where the battery holder and connections were right on the circuit board.

Here's to wishing it will be this simple.... LOL

#14 ·
hi Joe, I'm having the same problem with an 08 RT I just bought last week. I saw your post in another thread on a simillar issue started by JerseyGirl and posted a possible fix, but not full tested or confirmed in anyway. What i did was remove the Key Fob cover as if to replace the battery, noticed the contact pins and bent them upward a tad bit to get a better connection. I also bent the star like looking contacts on the circuit board itself so that it would make contact with the negative side of the battery a little better as well. This so far has helped make locking/unlocking a little more consistent and with greater range. As soon as I get to a store I'm going to replace the CR2032 Battery with a brand new one. I'm thinking that maybe these things have poor conections and/or a bad batch of batteries. I'll post back after replacing battery. This problem seems to happen with both of my keys so there does seem to be a systemic problem. In my 05 Magnum I got a range of about 500 feet with the key in my pocket and many house walls and a garage between me and the car, the design of the new Key fob is slightly different than the magnums where the battery holder and connections were right on the circuit board.

Here's to wishing it will be this simple.... LOL
Hey, trying a new battery isn't such a bad idea. If that's all it is, Chrysler Corp (LLC ... whatever) would deserve a big raspberry for not supplying fresh batteries!!!)

Also will try adjusting the contacts as you suggested.

Thanks for the info!:rep:

#15 · (Edited)
As promised, I went to the store and got a new battery (CR2032) and replaced it. It does seem to work a little better with more distance. I can be sitting in my recliner in the house and the key in my pocket and activate the door lock and hear the horn sound when locked. So with a new battery and the bending up of battery contacts, it seems to have gained me at least 50 feet of distance.

Let us know if this seems to work for you as well, Joe.....

#17 ·
Chrysler specs for range on the RKE function is only 10-23ft on a Nitro. If you get 50ft then thats better then specs. To expect 100ft plus is dreaming.
Thanks for the info, Doctor.

Wow, that's a surprisingly, pathetically short range for the wireless.

I suspect the "panic" button would have the same range ... so there would be no way to set off the panic alarm (the horn) unless you were AT the rig.

#18 ·
Thanks for the info, Doctor.

Wow, that's a surprisingly, pathetically short range for the wireless.

I suspect the "panic" button would have the same range ... so there would be no way to set off the panic alarm (the horn) unless you were AT the rig.
Yeah, sounds like no more "locating the car you lost in the mall parking lot" with this kind of range.:smiledown: That was my favorite use of the "panic" button LOL:chuckle:

#21 · (Edited)
Chrysler specs for range on the RKE function is only 10-23ft on a Nitro. If you get 50ft then thats better then specs. To expect 100ft plus is dreaming.
How does that compare with other Mopar cars?

I can't imagine that this is much different than other cars. Most automakers buy the same basic chips and must adhere to the same FCC rules about RF output power and antennas.

I checked my Saturn key fob and it is about the same as the Nitro.

Are we possibly expecting more from this than is realistic?

Ken

#26 ·
How does that compare with other Mopar cars?

I can't imagine that this is much different than other cars. Most automakers buy the same basic chips and must adhere to the same FCC rules about RF output power and antennas.

I checked my Saturn key fob and it is about the same as the Nitro.

Are we possibly expecting more from this than is realistic?

Ken
After replacing the battery and adjusting the battery contacts to provide a stronger contact, I increased my range to 50 to 75 feet though house walls to the vehicle. Prior to doing this, my range was spotty at 10 to 20 feet.

My 05 Magnum, would work from over 100 yards. I used the panic button in mall parking lots to locate my car.

The Nitro and Magnums Key Fobs look very simillar from the outside, but inside are very different. For one, the Magnum had a screw to hold the back cover on. Secondly, the battery holder on the magnum was soldered directly onto the circuit board and I can see this creating less of a voltage drop than it could across the tiny spring like contacts of the Nitro's design.

I would be curious to know the location of the receiver on the two vehicles to see if that could make a difference. Maybe one of the Dodge Techs has access to that info?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.