Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Their are some mufflers out there that will fit already like the Aero Turbine AS2525, The Fastman makes a t/b for the 3.7, ASP makes an underdrive pulley , spark plugs can be added like NGK2262's, AEM is looking for a test vech. in so/cal for an intake. And could anyone tell me if the Nitro 3.7L has a clutch Fan as I have a spare Extreme 180 Flexalite waiting to put on mine when it gets here. As for the intake I have a 360 kool shot that I used on 2 diff. 4.7L dodges I've heard that it would also fit a 3.7L.I think this would be a pretty good start for those who don't want to wait for the 4.0L . These are of course all 3.7L mods. Just some ideas.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another one, received an email today from STS, they say they already have a turbo setup for ram,dak & durango with the 3.7L engine should not take anything more than slight modifacation to adapt to Nitro. Cost in the area of $4000.00 bucks, spendy but gives min. 90 hp. increase. also noticed Jet Chip stage one made for the 2007 Nitro. $300.00 bucks

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wouldn't bother modifing a 3.7L when the 4.0L makes a good amount more power starting out. Unless you have to have a 6-speed. Let alone the 4.0L being way more refined. Who wants a engine that sounds like it's going to explode when pushed hard. I'm not quite sure what's involed in getting the Sebring Tuner car with the same 4.0L to a nice 285hp & 295tq. But I doubt it was anything as extream as force induction. It might just be a simple as a good ECU tunning which a free flow exhaust system.

http://www.nitroforumz.com/showpost.php?p=327&postcount=16

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not that I would not like a 4.0L I just like to tinker & the 3.7L has been around for a couple of years now, has proven itself & lends itself to playing around with. With me it's one of those cause it's there things.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just didn't want to wait that long to get the Nitro. I've tinkered with every engine I ever had & the 3.7L has enough aftermarket to start tinkering right now. One of those cause it's there things. Thats just me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Some research I've come to the conclusion that a 3.7L engine will vary between 210hp to 295 hp crank with available mods off the bottle.
295HP = 235 RWHP

Liberty owner said he added a Catback, Airfilter + Jet Chip & gained 19HP at the wheels. User Dyno: 171rwhp & 192rwtq

Per KenneBell Site Dyno for a 3.7L Mangum

Stock: [email protected] & [email protected]

SuperCharged: [email protected] & [email protected]

Not up on the 3.7L parts, but do they have Headers, Throttle body, Intake, Heads, Cams for this engine? Lots options, but will it be worth it?

I went that route with my 01 5.9L R/T Dak *Sold*
stock [email protected] [email protected] Sticker
Real [email protected] [email protected] = [email protected]

Modded: M1 2bb Intake,TB,Headers+Exhaust,RR1.7 ,K&N Air Intake,Cam KRC210,R/T Heads 2.02, Super Chip PCM <-- No Mopar option for 01+
Est. [email protected] [email protected] Real = [email protected]
Going Super charged may of been cheaper and easier with better output.

My SRT4 *Sold* went [email protected]+ lol No traction FWD

I wish the Nitro was lighter or put out 300hp :) that would rock.
Guess I 'm looking at the wrong vehical if I want a hot rod right. So the 4.0L will do, I can only hope that I can get 285hp with a chip and exhaust :) like the Sebring Tuner.

Sorry for the long post.:eek: Blah Blah right.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No no it's all good, like to hear diff. peoples thoughts. Hard to really have a hot truck or car in bush Alaska unless you live in Anchorage. So I just stick to the little guys & tinker. Have a 03 Dak w/ ho cams ,360 intake, ASP pulley, Flexalite 180 efan( no clutch fan) magnaflow exhaust , MSD stacker 8 ing., & 68mm fastman t/b. not really any place to go with it here but is sure is fun,

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another note , anyone need a flexalite ex 180 still new in the box. The Nitro 3.7L comes without a clutch Fan just an e-fan.One of the reasons it has a little more pep.

G

·
Can't wait

I've got a red Nitro r/t coming sometime in December.
I've never owned a Dodge before, but I understand Mopar has a great rep for aftermarket performance parts.
After modifying my motorbike (Triumph Sprint RS) and seeing the difference a couple of thousdand bucks in suspension, exhaust, tune, and gearing can make, I'm looking forward to modifying my new to be Nitro.

I've got some questions though. Where is the best place to start?
I thought that I'd start by chipping it, then exhaust and intake mods. I'd like to get to 300bhp at first - I think that would be a lot easier and cheaper than the next step to 350bhp.

Probably, (and I'm guessing, so help me out), to get to 350 I'll need to do some internal mods - cam shaft etc?

What is "do-able" so that it remains a decent street vehicle?

Does anyone have guestimates on cost etc?

Thanks guys:D.

·
NitroZ is the place to be!!!
1,459 Posts
Hi nu2dodge!

The chip probably will not be close to the first thing to come out for the Nitro.

You can expect headers, exhaust, intakes, gears, and appearance parts first.
If the Nitro is anything like the Dodge Chargers, it will be a long wait for a good chip.

Expect to pay in the $2k range for a full exhaust, maybe a bit more too.

Dodge takes their time introducing go-fast goodies like cams, heads etc. Expect a years wait on those.

·
NITROHOLIC™
1,794 Posts
Aftermarket addons will slowly start coming out early next year (maybe late this year) chipping your nitro and changing the computer system is the LAST thing you want to do..you awnt to have it reprogrammed after all upgrades so you take them into account..otherwise youll just have to reprogram it again afterwards :)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You can get a t/b right now from dan the fastman,like $225.00, cams from krc performance, like $750.00. Ther are some other items out there, could raise trq. & h/p by 25 to 30%.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have a Neon R/T now & modders for that car have created a CAI using the intake from a 3.0 liter Dodge, ie; Caravan, Sebring, etc. The rule would be to keep the ID the same or slightly larger diameter as the throttlebody. And get your air filter into a location that has good cool air flow without sacrificing anything. One issue I've seen with the Neon CAI is they move the air cleaner to a location way down low, making it possible for the CAI to suck water if you drive thru a puddle. Probably not going to be a problem looking at the front grill of Nitro vs a Neon. Or this might be an opportunity to make the accent vents on the front fenders functional!

I see chips already on Ebay too. As I understand it, there are good & bad chip mods though. Some are just resisters that fool the ECM to think there is a lean or rich condition, forcing it to send more fuel. Others actually modify the mixture, idle, timing, shift points, etc. The bottom line would be to do your due diligence to make sure your buying from a reputable company & getting the right kind of chip to mod your rig.

Kinda hard to do this stuff to a brand new car, isn't it?! It was a breeze on a $3000 Neon & definitely made the car perform. But on a $25k Nitro?!

--Bill

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was running a CAI through the fender on my 2000 Neon but then changed and simply bolted the K&N to the TB itself. There's lots of air flow from the front of the car so not worried about hot air, especially during the winter time here :)

Sounds cooler too :p

Wondering what an FIPK will run for the Nitro. K&N doesn't list anything but an oil filter right now.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts