Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had to tow my vehicle into a shop because as I was waiting for my garage door to open, my engine sputtered a little bit then died and wouldn't restart. It sounded like it wanted to, but never actually cranked over. Took it to a shop and this is what they told me...
Font Material property Symmetry Electric blue Parallel

Could the compressed air have broken my timing chain? They are saying I need to replace the engine, is that really necessary? We've never dealt with this shop before and are not going back. We towed it back home until we can figure out what to do.
Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
the 4.0l does have a timing belt, i doubt the compressed air broke the belt, on the 4.0l the easiest thing to check first is the timing belt remove the cover and check it is still around all the gears and tight,

·
Registered
165 Posts
i doubt the compressed air broke the belt,
Hmhh ... If the shop did it that stupid way by flooding the intake ports with compressed air they might have overloaded. Check the timing belt, if no issue found then measure compression of each cylinder and search for the souce of the rattle. Best practice would be to remove all sparks until only one spark plug staying in the cylinder to be tested and go through the cylinders 1 to 6, repeating this procedure 6 times.

You also could use a stethoscope like a doctor or a screwdriver attached to your ears to have better noise identifcation. .

·
Registered
2007 R/T
530 Posts
4.0L has timing belts.

If the belt broke, it's most likely bent valves, etc.

You could spend more money in the diagnosis for them to open up the front part of the engine to check if the belt indeed broke.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.