Dodge Nitro Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
When i pull up the lock pin, i can open the door. When the lock pin is down, the door is locked. All works correctly, just does not work with key fob or from door controls

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,742 Posts
I have not had mine apart to see, but from what you are describing it sounds like the pin is connected to the locking part of the latch mechanism, but the actuator is not connected to the pin.
Unfortunately the only way to check it is to remove the interior panel and the window carrier plate. The door latch unit is attached to the back of the carrier plate.
In this thread Pic 9 you can see where the lock pin rod goes into the door to the latch mechanism.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,742 Posts
If you still have a warranty, yes it should, unless the damage is declared as abuse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Now, now, no need to get nasty! Slaprise, what did the dealer say they fix on other models with the same problem? Relay, switch, fuse, wiring? That's the question, it sounds like you got some response about the condition, how else would you know it would cost $200. to fix? Please share info.

·
Nitro Addict!
527 Posts
My passenger side rear door no longer locks, or unlocks using the key fob buttons, or the lock/unlock button on the driver's door control panel. This problem started after I had my roll onto the side accident with the snow berm a couple of years ago, so I don't know what has changed inside of the door, but figured that something may be resting against the lock/unlock rod, which the electronic lock/unlock mechanism cannot over come.

Just one more thing on my list of things to fix on my Nitro that is lower down on the priority list. Maybe this info could be helpful to the OP.

·
Registered
170 Posts
So i went to the dealer today for a oil change, and figured i would get my door checked out. After waiting for 4 hrs i got fed up and told them i would come back to get the part installed. Now that i have the part im thinking maybe i can tackle this job in my own.

·
Nitro Addict!
527 Posts
Thanks for that pic. of the part. Make sure to take plenty of pics during the installation, so the rest of us can see how it all fits together.

Do you know which of those plastic clips connects to the lock/unlock rod?

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
So i went to the dealer today for a oil change, and figured i would get my door checked out. After waiting for 4 hrs i got fed up and told them i would come back to get the part installed. Now that i have the part im thinking maybe i can tackle this job in my own.

Hi if the garage are going to do the free of charge then let them do it.

replacing of the lock mechanism is a bit of a job

·
Registered
170 Posts
According to the dealer, they charge a labor rate for two hrs to complete this job. At my dealer the labor rate is $127 per hr. My dealer charges $200 diagnostic fee. I did have a service coupon for a $39.99 diagnostic fee, so i saved some $$$ there. They did charge me 1 hr labor rate already today. Since i was there at 715am and at 1230 pm job was not complete i had left. So to finish this job at the dealer which ive been going to for the past 4 years, i would still have to pay the labor rate of $127 to finish the job. I might have posted my issue with my locks in another thread in this forum, but this was the only thread i can find when i did a search. I have had this issue since summer... glad i finally know which piece is bad. I also do have a extended warranty, but per my service advisor this part is not covered under my extended warranty.

·
Nitro Addict!
527 Posts
I hate to type this, but I think that all car/truck dealers have gotten really greedy (more greedy than usual) where service prices are concerned, since more people are keeping their cars & trucks longer, instead of buying new vehicles every few years. That dealership's mechanics are probably only making between $18 to $22 per hour and the rest is going to the dealership owner, plus the number of hours they use are book rates, and good mechanics can usually get the work done in half that time, but the dealer would never cut the service charge and base it on the actual time it takes to complete.

Too bad dealerships are like that, as it would be so nice to be able to have a GOOD relationship with the same place you buy a new car from (not that I will ever buy another new car). I just hope I can find a great mechanic near my new home when I finally get up there, as I am getting too old and forgetful to do all my maintenance or repairs myself, and really want to keep my Nitro a long time, which will mean that things will wear out and need replacement eventually.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Im ar 39k miles. As the vehicle gets older and more mileage, i will be taking vehicle to a shop to get work done. I still only go to the dealer because some components are still under warranty, oil changes are cheap, and i do agree that they are overpriced

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello there all. I just got told of the problem with my wife's nitro after work so started digging. I pulled fuses and looked for obvious stuff ( not knowing where to look mostly). I have read a lot of the posts (tyvm guys). I thought I would try something it said in the manual and can't recall atm but I think it was about the single door lock or lock all function on the key fob. At any rate if you hold down the unlock and lock button for 3-10 seconds(no longer it said) that it would change from single lock to full lock. It so happens I tried that before going and buying a new something or other and the fob now locks and unlocks. I hope this works for others also. Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello again. I thought I would try and find where I read about the key fob buttons. It is on page 21 of the 2007 nitro manual and is under the "flash Lights With Lock" heading. I have no idea why this worked but it did. I would say it is time to go out and buy a lottery ticket. Cheers!

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,742 Posts
Odie, what was the locking issue you had?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,742 Posts
Interesting, the single VS all doors feature you talked about earlier is only for unlocking. When set to single, on the first key fob press it unlocks just the drivers door, on second press it unlocks the rest.

This setting should have nothing to do with locking the doors using the switch on the door, or when using the fob. Using either one should lock all the doors on 1 press.
Have you tried reversing the setting to see if the problem comes back? I'd be curious to find out if it does.
If it does then that might indicate the programming in the TIPM may use a different relay to activate the locks, or it may somehow cross connect a circuit internally, with the setting to all doors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I could try but I wouldn't mind just letting it stay working for a while. That would keep my wife happier for the time being .

41 - 60 of 68 Posts