Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
It's been awhile since I have been on here but I am back looking for some help... I've tried looking for some other posts but couldn't find similar problems.

My key fob seems to be acting up..
My locks still work from the inside. I can lock and unlock them with the button on the door. But not the fob.

I've replaced my TIPM awhile back and my key has been unlocking my doors and even rolling down my driver's window by its self...
I got the TIPM reprogrammed thinking that would help but it's still going on ?
Has this happened to anyone else ?
Maybe I just need a new fob...

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
i think the problem could be the keyfob, can't remember the exact specifics but it's something like:
on some later model Nitro's if you press the unlock button twice consecutivley the doors unlock and window rolls down,
sometimes the keyfob buttons get worn and it take very little pressure to activate the buttons
possible solutions:
remove keyfob battery and see if the doors unlock,
try second keyfob for a few days, but you must still remove the battery and isolate the first keyfob,
open up the keyfob see if there is any moisture or dirt effecting the button operation

Reactions: PeterG and Vaughan

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think the problem could be the keyfob, can't remember the exact specifics but it's something like:
on some later model Nitro's if you press the unlock button twice consecutivley the doors unlock and window rolls down,
sometimes the keyfob buttons get worn and it take very little pressure to activate the buttons
possible solutions:
remove keyfob battery and see if the doors unlock,
try second keyfob for a few days, but you must still remove the battery and isolate the first keyfob,
open up the keyfob see if there is any moisture or dirt effecting the button operation
I do not have a second fob but have removed the battery from the fob and the stuff does not happen ( window unrolling and ect.) but am able to unlock the doors using the switches on the door it's self.
Also inside the fob looks like and dry.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
can be expensive for a new fob, "ScarO" has a thread about buying a cheap fob on ebay and having it programmed at his local locksmiths, and he was very happy with what he got,

Reactions: Vaughan

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
here is a link to ScarO's thread

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
can be expensive for a new fob, "ScarO" has a thread about buying a cheap fob on ebay and having it programmed at his local locksmiths, and he was very happy with what he got,
I think I may try this and hope it works.

Ordering one through the dealership here in my town will cost around 3-400$ ish is what I was told by the dealership. But they will program a aftermarket fob key for 40$ but he said it may or may not work.

Not sure if the locksmiths here know how to program the fobs I will call around tomorrow as I have the day off tomorrow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think I may try this and hope it works.

Ordering one through the dealership here in my town will cost around 3-400$ ish is what I was told by the dealership. But they will program a aftermarket fob key for 40$ but he said it may or may not work.

Not sure if the locksmiths here know how to program the fobs I will call around tomorrow as I have the day off tomorrow.
Hello Vaughan and Nitrogen! Same issue with aftermarket KOB /FOB purchased thru Mobile Locksmith found on Kijiji. After 8 months it started eating batteries 2-4 per month so I contacted person who sold it and they replaced it - free. I now have a spare key and new FOB however after two days (here in Wpg we had -35 cold evenings) and it stopped working. Replaced battery and working okay... so far. Hope this helps.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts