Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, first off I still love my Nitro, but I am becoming worried :shakehead:

I bought the Nitro in Mid-November and since then I have had it
*Stall out Once--I was turning onto a major road and it just shut off; however, it started right back up on its own after about 4 seconds--wierd!

*The motor has not wanted to turn over twice--it just sticks on the cranking part and does the winding noise. Both times I had to turn off the ignition, wait a couple of seconds and try again. The second attempt always has worked.

*Since the day I bought the Nitro, it has leaked. The rear-right passenger door lets water in when it rains. I have put it in the shop twice now and just got it back this morning. I hope it is fixed this time. If not, they have one more chance before I go "Lemon Law.":SHOCKED: I estimate that the rear-right passenger carpet and front passenger carpet has been wet 80% of the time since I have owned the Nitro.

Okay, those are the problems I have had with mine. However, I still love the car. :eek:

· Registered
469 Posts

*Stall out Once--I was turning onto a major road and it just shut off; however, it started right back up on its own after about 4 seconds--wierd!

*The motor has not wanted to turn over twice--it just sticks on the cranking part and does the winding noise. Both times I had to turn off the ignition, wait a couple of seconds and try again. The second attempt always has worked.

*Since the day I bought the Nitro, it has leaked. The rear-right passenger door lets water in when it rains. I have put it in the shop twice now and just got it back this morning. I hope it is fixed this time. If not, they have one more chance before I go "Lemon Law.":SHOCKED: I estimate that the rear-right passenger carpet and front passenger carpet has been wet 80% of the time since I have owned the Nitro.

Okay, those are the problems I have had with mine. However, I still love the car. :eek:
Welcome to the board! :wavey: I have to tell you it was nice to hear that I am not the only one that the car did not turn over on. It has only happened once to me so far (knock on wood). I have also had mine die on me when turning into a tight parking spot. I have not had the leaking issue yet that I am aware of, it is winter here and we get the snow more than rain so when spring comes maybe we will see that too. I hope your dealership is more helpful to you with your repairs. I do love mine too but sometimes I wonder if I made a smart shoice in car and should have stayed with my honda element.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Back in shop

I just dropped my Nitro back off in to the shop..why you ask? It is still letting water in to the back seat. Third times a charm, right?

The dealership and my husband are in negotiation for a buy-back.
:shakehead:

· Registered
324 Posts
I bought my nitro in nov.06 It now has 7100 miles on it and it has stalled once and this morning while my sister was driving it, aliens shut the car off and back on haha. She said she was merging on to the interstate and all the dash lights came on as if it were stalled, but it never did stall. Now so far she hasn't had any other problems with it. I love my nitro and I need a reliable car for work, I pretty much drive the whole west coast of florida soo I don't need to be stranded somewhere. I guess I might have to break out my trusty 69 vw beetle if I have to put it in the shop.

· Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
Stalling during turning

aedgar850 saw your post....very interesting....

I just got my nitro in late Nov 06...
My wife has been driving it since then..

Now, just within the last two weeks, she has been telling me that when she make a left into a parking spot, the car shuts off. I haven't seen it happen yet, but she says she can duplicate the problem. So, I am going to check it out today, then call the dealer.

I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks,
Jdog

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Third time is a charm

I picked my Nitro up at the dealership Saturday and they fixed the leakage issue. It seems that a channel on the hatch wasn't sealed :confused: , so they sealed it and all should be good now.

However, upon pick-up I wasn't impressed with the way the interior of the Nitro was left. The carpet was soaked from the "WATER TEST" that was preformed to find the leak spot and there was red clay in the floorboard. (I live no where near red clay! Oh yeah the best part, a plastic piece of the interior was pulled off and lying in the seat. It took forever to find out where it came from...a piece of the seat.

We complained but the service department was closed and the sales staff couldn’t have cared less. I will never ever, ever buy from Chuck Stevens Dodge again! They take your money and slam the door behind you.

Okay...venting done.:i_rolleyes:

G

·
Leather seats

Hi all,

I have the SLT trim with the two toned leather and when I drove my car with the seat warmers on, the leather on the seats raised up (it was like a balloon when I got out of my seat). I took it to the dealer and they sent it to their upholstery vendor. When I got it back the leather was no longer raised, but instead was very wrinkled b/c it had been stretched. It looks like it should after 70K miles of use. I told the dealer, and they offered to switch my entire seat out. Anyone else have this problem?

· Registered
324 Posts
Well so far so good. Now have 9000 miles on my nitro and it hasn't stalled again. But I can tell you it is DIRTY my poor blue beast needs a bath. But as long as its rainin here, I refuse to do it. Oh and I forgot but I now have 2 chips in my windshield damn dump trucks!

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well so far so good. Now have 9000 miles on my nitro and it hasn't stalled again. But I can tell you it is DIRTY my poor blue beast needs a bath. But as long as its rainin here, I refuse to do it. Oh and I forgot but I now have 2 chips in my windshield damn dump trucks!
I have one chip in the windshield and mine needs a bath too. I am with you on why give the car a bath when it rains every other day.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wrinkles

Hi all,

I have the SLT trim with the two toned leather and when I drove my car with the seat warmers on, the leather on the seats raised up (it was like a balloon when I got out of my seat). I took it to the dealer and they sent it to their upholstery vendor. When I got it back the leather was no longer raised, but instead was very wrinkled b/c it had been stretched. It looks like it should after 70K miles of use. I told the dealer, and they offered to switch my entire seat out. Anyone else have this problem?
I have the heated two-tone seats too and after the first use, my driver seat wrinkled. It seems to have excess fabric that bulges and the leather has a crinkled look.

· Registered
64 Posts
The more I read the more I worry. I too love my Nitro. I have around 1200 miles on it, I bought it the end of June. It's an R/T. Had it back at the dealership once because of a rattle inside the upper part of the front passenger door and to have a small scratch (cat) on the hood buffed out. Tomball Dodge has been great from the beginning. They worked till they found the rattle and buffed the scratch...no problem. I'm not really sure why I'm so leery about taking it back to them because..well..I'm feeling THE "shudder" at around 35mph and yes I've turned on the seat warmers just to try them out...never realizing that it would cause that ripple across both front leather seats. I truly believe that is what's caused it. Guess I need to call the dealership and take it in... I knew when I purchased my car, an hour away, that it could turn into a hassle if I had to run back and forth for any length of time. Hope it all works out well and the shudder will stop, the seats... not sure I want to even mention that...sigh*

· Registered
1,322 Posts
The more I read the more I worry. I too love my Nitro. I have around 1200 miles on it, I bought it the end of June. It's an R/T. Had it back at the dealership once because of a rattle inside the upper part of the front passenger door and to have a small scratch (cat) on the hood buffed out. Tomball Dodge has been great from the beginning. They worked till they found the rattle and buffed the scratch...no problem. I'm not really sure why I'm so leery about taking it back to them because..well..I'm feeling THE "shudder" at around 35mph and yes I've turned on the seat warmers just to try them out...never realizing that it would cause that ripple across both front leather seats. I truly believe that is what's caused it. Guess I need to call the dealership and take it in... I knew when I purchased my car, an hour away, that it could turn into a hassle if I had to run back and forth for any length of time. Hope it all works out well and the shudder will stop, the seats... not sure I want to even mention that...sigh*
SierraSecret - you should not be feeling "the shudder" because you do not have "that transmission" in your R/T. If you are experiencing a transmission problem, it is unrelated to the ones in the 4 speed automatic that comes in the SXT/SLT models. You should get your 5 speed automatic checked out by your dealer.

Seat warmers are not causing wrinkles in your leather seats. Sitting in them may cause them to wrinkle, but the wrinkle will disappear shortly after getting out of it.

My seats looked worse after a few weeks of ownership than they do now. Now they almost look new again. You can take them back to the dealership and complain or you can just let them wear in and adjust until they are broken in.

I have sweated in them which may have helped more than hurt. Leather usually shrinks a little when it has been wet. At any rate, with 3600 miles my seats look as good as ever.

· Registered
9 Posts
This is a reprint of my message from a couple of days ago. It pays to contact Chrysler and check with your state's Lemon Law requirements. They work!

Don't know it this is the right place to put this but here goes:

I bought my Nitro SXT last November and have had one constant problem. The drivers door lock does not work properly. Sometimes it locks me out of the car and othertimes it locks all by itself when I leave the car. More often than not I have to use the key to unlock the door and I must leave the key in the lock turned, open the door and then remove the key. You all know how the doors lock at some set speed, well if you get out of the car and leave the keys in the ignition say to get a quick soda or you leave the engine running because it is cold outside, the driver's door will lock behind you. Since all of the other doors are lock because you just drove the car...you can NOT get back into the car and you left the engine running!!!

To make a long story short, I filed papers with Chrysler 2 weeks ago as a Lemon Law complaint and guess what? Friday I got a call from them and they are replacing the car. Full MSRP towards any Dodge I want. MSRP versus MSRP so I only have to pay the difference if I choose a more expensive car. They are even paying for tags, taxes and title.

Dodge...you have me as a loyal customer forever! I have chosen to replace my black SXT Nitro with a new red R/T fully loaded and only have to pay an additional 8k. My SXT was bare bones, one year old and had 9600 miles. Thank you Dodge!

· Registered
145 Posts
Problems I have had

First problem i had with my nitro was after a drive back to houston from san Antonio all the lights flashed and it just quick working but only for a second. I have never seen this again. Second problem i had was the air bag started to have a bubble effect but i took it in to the dealer and they fixed it no problem. Third problem i had with my nitro was the insulation under the hood on the passanger side came half way out but the dealer fixed that when they took care of the other part.

The latest problem i have is the ESP light keeps coming on then going off then coming on then going off. I took it to the dealer they said it is not on so they cant see a code. So i took it in when it was on and they were to busy to look at it. So i am just waiting till it comes back on and i will take it in again.

Also i was driving in the crappy houston traffic the other day and a dang 18 wheeler in the fast lane launched a rock into my window so now i have a darn crack in my window and that irritates me more than any of the other problems i have so now i have to go get that fixed...I sometimes wish i just went with a 300c instead...but then i see 100 of them driving home and i am glad that i bought the Nitro.

:Racing:Rick

· Registered
356 Posts

All of those ingnition problems and dying problems have been addressed.
Take it to the dealer and ask about the computer recall. And see if the computer has been updated. It is a simple fix.;)

· Registered
356 Posts
aedgar850 saw your post....very interesting....

I just got my nitro in late Nov 06...
My wife has been driving it since then..

Now, just within the last two weeks, she has been telling me that when she make a left into a parking spot, the car shuts off. I haven't seen it happen yet, but she says she can duplicate the problem. So, I am going to check it out today, then call the dealer.

I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks,
Jdog
Yes i have had this happen but i believe i know what it is.
I believe that the transmission is not disengaging as fast as it should so the engine will die from stress. Turning and braking at the same time puts stress on the engine. It shouldnt be a problem.
;)

· Registered
53 Posts
... aliens shut the car off and back on haha. She said she was merging on to the interstate and all the dash lights came on as if it were stalled, but it never did stall. Now so far she hasn't had any other problems with it...quote]

I hate hearing ANY bad news about the nitro. I just hit 15K yesterday and after my oil change, I was driving home (I had put about 120 miles of driving the entire day), all of a sudden, the panel lights went on for a brief second, then nothing. I was driving at the time but didn't lose any steering or control, but when I shouted, " What the HELL???", I woke my wife up!!!

I'd heard about all the stalling issues with the SXT and SLT but not so much on the RT, so I was kinda baffled. Again, to reiterate, the car did NOT stall, but that was the very first time something weird like that happened!! Am I experiencing the quiet before the storm????

Blkpylut

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.