Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Nitro was built for use in Canada,

so the Daytime Running Lights (DRL) feature is enabled. I read that the DRLs are actually the high beam filament at a lower power and I'm concerned that this will be a problem if I retrofit projectors.

Here is the kit I want to use:
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits/universal-kits/bi-xenon-mini-stage-3-kit-d2s.html?preselect=48286,48296,49455,49469,47695,50242,50178#.V4pmOmgrKHs

What will happen with these when the DRLs are engaged?

Here's my hypothesis:
  1. The lower-power signal is sent to the high beam.
  2. This causes the wiring harness to engage the HIDs at full power and retract the low beam shield.
  3. The end result is that my DRLs become my high beams.
If any lighting geniuses have an answer, I'd love to hear what you think!

·
Registered
69 Posts
As I commented on your Canadia photo, my Nitro was built to sell in Canada. I did not put projectors in, however I did install a set of HID headlights from XenonHIDs.com. They work great and so far I have had no problems. I would need to double check the VIN on mine, but I believe the DRL's are also enabled on my Nitro. When in gear, the headlights are on, even if the switch is off. If you turn the headlights on with the switch, I notice no change that I would think you would see from switching from the high beam filament to the low beams. I'm not sure if any of that is helpful, but that is my experience with HID's. I believe that Scar0 and another member have done HID mods as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've completed my retrofit now and here's what happens.

When the engine is started and parking brake is off:
  • HID bulbs are always powered, high beam solenoid is sometimes triggered.
  • If the high beam momentary switch is pulled, the high beam stays on after releasing.
  • You can turn the headlight switch on and the high beam will remain off, but then the headlights are on and the instrument cluster and center console are lit all the time.
What I do is pull the parking brake just to the very first click. This keeps the bulbs and high beam solenoids inactive when driving during the day, but every time I pass through five MPH there's a beep. I'm pretty sure that at that first click there is virtually no brake engagement. I don't notice any braking, anyway.

I put in a call to my local dealer to see if they could do anything about it and they told me they'll research to see what can be done. Hopefully they'll figure it out and I won't have to upset them by telling them how to do their jobs (switching the computer to US mode (I think)).

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
after your last post i now understand how your lighting circuit works ( High beam staying on is a bit strange ), and yes the best way or Only way to resolve this is to have your vehicles computer flashed to the USA version.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,218 Posts
The problem I see is, it is my understanding that once a system is set to CDN programming it can not be turned back to US programming.
Since your system is already CDN programmed, I don't think they can do anything... Short of replacing the computers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Scar.
I haven't heard back from the dealer yet, but hopefully they'll be able to figure something out that won't cost a fortune.
If not, this forum has basically the same problem I do, but I don't plan on adding DRLs.

·
Registered
92 Posts
im interested too...

otherwise solution its just open the headlights and re-cable everything...

the 3 cables runs directly to an h4 lamp. and it works perfectly.
i'm not yet informed about h4 lamp working scheme but it will be my next study asap...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't implemented a solution, and I've just been turning on my lights every time I drive to avoid problems. I haven't had any bulbs burn out so that'll be my solution for the foreseeable future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts