Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I program a new key fob for my 07 Nitro SLX without any special equipment?
I only have one working key fob that randomly unlocks my vehicle.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,305 Posts
Nope. You need 2 working keys to program your own.
But most locksmiths can program one into the system for a small fee.
I bought an E-bay key, had it cut and programmed by a locksmith. It works flawlessly.
Way cheaper then the dealer rip off price.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called the dealership (vomit sound) and was told the same thing. I ordered a oem replacement for 59$ and found a locksmith who gave me a quote for 50$. Still way cheaper than dealership prices.
Thank you for your time and response.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,305 Posts
Good deal. Once you have 2 working keys you can program another couple DIY.
8 keys in the computer system is the max. So you may ask the locksmith to read the one you have and remove any others in there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My
I called the dealership (vomit sound) and was told the same thing. I ordered a oem replacement for 59$ and found a locksmith who gave me a quote for 50$. Still way cheaper than dealership prices.
Thank you for your time and response.
The locksmith programmed the new key fob but the issue (car randomly unlocks all doord) continued.
The Locksmith said He doesn't think the key fob was the problem.
He thinks there is an issue with my Ignition switch or in the steering column. With no key in the Ignition he tapped the Ignition switch with his finger and it triggered the unlock function. He said there Is a pen in the Ignition that is broken or breaking and sending "key in the Ignition" to the computer, which unlocks the doors.
Any thoughts on this? Thanks

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,305 Posts
Wow that is a strange one! Never heard of that. When I put my key in, nothing unlocks.
Did you remove the old fob battery? Could be a button sticking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It doesn't make sense to me either.
I've dismantled the key fob and cleaned all contact points. New battery makes it happen more frequently, the older the battery gets the less it happens but when the battery dies I can't start my vehicle.
If I remove the battery from my fob, then lock the doors manually, it stays locked. That's why I assumed it was my key fob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts