Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Nitro owners!!

I don't own a Nitro yet but intend to buy one in the coming weeks. I have admired the vehicle since it came out and I am finally in a position to buy one (my four kids have grown and we no longer must have a seven passenger vehicle.).

I am looking at R/T and other models with the 4.0 V6 , some with the towing package and some without it. Towing capability is important for me.

Is it true that all Nitros with the 4.0 v6 have the oil cooler, clutch fan and power steering cooler, and so the towing package is just the tow hitch and pin connector in the bumper? Alternatively can those items be easily purchased and added (I seem to see these items for sale on auto parts sites)

Any other tips on buying a Nitro would be appreciated.

Thanks! I hope to join the ranks of Nitro owners soon!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
All Nitros have:
  • power steering cooler
  • transmission cooler integrated into the radiator

For some Nitros the tow package added a mechanical viscus fan, but not for all of them.

The tow package on the 4.0L adds an additional engine oil cooler.

The tow package added:
  • trailer receiver hitch (class III)
  • 4-pin, 5-pin, or 7-pin wiring harness
  • ECU programming for towing
  • full size spare tire

Tow capacities are:

with just the class III hitch:
  • 7400 lbs GCWR
  • 2000 lbs max gross trailer weight
  • 200 lbs max gross tongue weight

with the class III hitch and a weight distribution hitch:
  • 10100 lbs GCWR
  • 5000 lbs max gross trailer weight
  • 500 lbs max gross tongue weight

Factory part numbers are:
  • 82210266 hitch receiver
  • 82210642AD 7-way wire harness
  • 82210643AC 4-way wire harness
  • 82210592AB or 1FU39RXFAA bezel (aka "reinforcement plate")

The factory hitch receiver is likely impossible to locate now--unless you get lucky with a junk yard.
The wire harnesses can be found in stock though.
You won't need the bezel w/o the factory receiver since after market receivers go below the bumper not through it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much -- this is just the information that I need.

I see a MOPAR HD cooling parts package available for purchase that includes the viscous clutch fan and the oil cooler. It seems to fit the 4.0 liter engine. Does that duplicate part of the towing package? I don't mind buying an aftermarket hitch, even if it decreases the departure angle.

I intend to get a full size spare regardless. And it looks like I can buy the wiring harness. I guess that I can't change the ECU flash but I might get a tuner/programmer that I assume could help with that if needed.

I would have thought most Nitros would have come with the towing package given its good towing capabilities but most don't Or maybe just the ones for sale just don't have it.

This is a fantastic forum. I have learned a lot and seems quite active. I look forward to joining as a Nitro owner.

Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
  • 82210592AB or 1FU39RXFAA bezel (aka "reinforcement plate")

The factory hitch receiver is likely impossible to locate now--unless you get lucky with a junk yard.
The wire harnesses can be found in stock though.
You won't need the bezel w/o the factory receiver since after market receivers go below the bumper not through it.
Good thread! Just wanted to say - those junkyard finds are still out there! I just picked up a factory hitch (7 pin connector was trashed) and am soaking the bolts in 10% vinegar now.

I just looked at that bezel/reinforcement plate. I don't quite understand it. The Nitro I got the hitch off didn't have a bumper, so I'm not sure how the bezel would get integrated to an existing bumper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your input. I am going to look at a 2009 Nitro tomorrow, but it does not have the towing package. If I buy it, I will scour junkyards for the OEM factory hitch. I would think there would be many out there, given the age of the Nitro.

Does the factory hitch from a gen 2 Jeep Liberty fit the Nitro?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thank you for your input. I am going to look at a 2009 Nitro tomorrow, but it does not have the towing package. If I buy it, I will scour junkyards for the OEM factory hitch. I would think there would be many out there, given the age of the Nitro.

Does the factory hitch from a gen 2 Jeep Liberty fit the Nitro?
I'd be willing to bet yes. Just about everything from the Liberty is shared with the Nitro.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The part number for the hitch receiver 82210266 only lists fitment for the Nitro. While the Nitro and JL KK do share a lot of things, where this is custom fit to the frame--that's one thing that does of course differ--it's possible they really don't fit.
I just checked etrailer - the hitches that fit the Nitro and the ones that fit the Liberty are all different, so you're right, they're probably not interchangeable.

·
Registered
2007 R/T
535 Posts
Where does it say you HAVE to have a weight dis hitch to get 5000?

I can't seem to find anywhere w/that info. I've only read that you can have 5000lb capacity if you have the tow package, which adds a Class 3 hitch, which is good for 8000lb.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
owners manual says,
3,500 lbs - 5,000 lbs max only with Class III weight distributing hitch
5,000 lbs is the max trailer weight for any model or year Nitro,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts