Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2011 Nitro Detonator in December with 80,000 miles , Overall happy with the Nitro. I bought it from a mom and pop dealer and used their repair shop for a complimentary oil change and they seem like a good shop.

Anyway the Nitro will occasionally not start on the 1st or 2nd try, just clicks and then starts. Talked to the repair shop and they mentioned the dealer brought it in for the same problem when they purchased it ( probably from an auction). They changed the battery and starter and it still occasionally had the same problem.

So I am leaning towards the immobilizer going bad, Anyway to know for sure before taking it in to Dodge ? I am afraid it may not start at all and leave me stranded.

Last question this seems like a common dodge problem. Has any one had it repaired at the dealer and how much was it ? Thank you

Reactions: Scar0

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,827 Posts
Welcome to the forum @bad455. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section (<click this) and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

First thing I would do is test/ replace the
K3= Starter Solenoid
K4= Start/Run
relays in the TIPM.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bought a 2011 Nitro Detonator in December with 80,000 miles , Overall happy with the Nitro. I bought it from a mom and pop dealer and used their repair shop for a complimentary oil change and they seem like a good shop.

Anyway the Nitro will occasionally not start on the 1st or 2nd try, just clicks and then starts. Talked to the repair shop and they mentioned the dealer brought it in for the same problem when they purchased it ( probably from an auction). They changed the battery and starter and it still occasionally had the same problem.

So I am leaning towards the immobilizer going bad, Anyway to know for sure before taking it in to Dodge ? I am afraid it may not start at all and leave me stranded.

Last question this seems like a common dodge problem. Has any one had it repaired at the dealer and how much was it ? Thank you View attachment 38849 View attachment 38850 View attachment 38852
Thank

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you bought a new relay and swapped it out one at a time and same thing .It probably starts 10-15 times fine then still get a click from the starter and it does not spin. turn the key again and it starts right up .

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
when you say "still get a click at the starter" do you mean the starter relay or the starter motor ?,

maybe the ignition barrel ?.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, It sounds like the starter clicking.

All the research I did on this forum, you tube and google all seem to have no better luck with this problem by changing the ignition switch.

Reactions: Scar0 and Nitrogen

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,827 Posts
The immobilizer would not even let it click. And it would not start on try 2.
Next bet is starter, ground, or corrosion.
Check the ground strap on the passenger firewall to the engine/trany.
Pull the Neg(-) battery cable, clean the terminal and post. While it is off, do the same to the Pos(+) battery cable.
Reconnect Pos(+) cable first, then the Neg(-).

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
ScarO just jogged my memory, i read a post which stated that there no start issue was caused by a bad connection at the short thick cable between the starter solonoid and the starter motor ,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you will try that today

·
Registered
8 Posts

Last question this seems like a common dodge problem. Has any one had it repaired at the dealer and how much was it ? Thank you View attachment 38849 View attachment 38850 View attachment 38852
for mine.. I changed the all the fuel injectors the sparkplugs....did the reset and my nitro starts fine.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts