Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
As you're probably aware there are some transmission concerns that have been posted here on the forum. 99.9% of the Nitro owners so far here have the 3.7L engine which has either the 5spd manual or the 4spd 42RLE. The 4.0L engine comes mated to the NAG1 transmission which is completely different. The biggest difference and the reason why the NAG1 is used with the 4.0L is because of the torque from that engine. The NAG1 transsmission is found in other Chrysler vehicles such as the LX bodies (300, Magnum, and Charger).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
57 Posts
As you're probably aware there are some transmission concerns that have been posted here on the forum. 99.9% of the Nitro owners so far here have the 3.7L engine which has either the 5spd manual or the 4spd 42RLE. The 4.0L engine comes mated to the NAG1 transmission which is completely different. The biggest difference and the reason why the NAG1 is used with the 4.0L is because of the torque from that engine. The NAG1 transsmission is found in other Chrysler vehicles such as the LX bodies (300, Magnum, and Charger).

Hope this helps.
Have you heard on any problems with LX bodies and the NAG1 Trans?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have about 650 miles on my 5-speed automatic R/T and am having no 'serious' problems but do think it shifts a tad rough. My last vehicle was a Ford Expedition and the transfer from gear to gear was much smoother. I'm a little concerned if this will be more of a problem when I start towing my skis this summer. Again, it's not a severe jerk when it swithches but definately not real smooth. Is this what other R/T owners are experiencing?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same tranny in the R/T as in the LX cars, and the Jeep Grand Cherokee's. My mom has a Daytona Charger, and my pop has a SRT-8 Grand Cherokee, don't notice much difference in the smoothness of the tranny onmy Nitro, other than programmed shift points. The Hemi vehicles don't rev as much in each gear under normal driving, but the tranny will also kind of adapt to driving style. The Daytona will keep it in gear a while, as my mom kind of lead foots it around. Kind of expect the same thing from the Nitro after driving for a while.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have just over a grand on my R/T and it is starting to shift a bit hard. not all the time. I will check on it when or if the dealer gets the mygig I paid for.
I must say this R/T is a blast to drive, I like it so much better than my 06 charger.:Racing:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine also has always shifted a little hard, but it is getting harder and harder. Also there seems to be some torque converter problems now that I am getting to the 5000 mile mark. I will be taking it in soon to have a couple TSB's done to see if it fixes some of the problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.