Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today got back in my Nitro after shopping with he wife and as I was strapping my daughter in her car seat I noticed the radio was on. Good thing we were only in the store for an hour. As soon as I opened the front door it stopped. Anyone else experienced this? I dont remember hearing it playing as I got out of the car. My wife said maybe it kicked back on when I unlocked the doors. Now I have been looking through the windows to make sure it is actually off, dont want to come out to a dead Nitro after work.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Welcome to the world of Mercedes Benz electronics.

My E500 did this all the time. They replaced everything and each time assured me it was really fixed this time. Oh yeah, and sometimes it would do just the opposite -- refuse to turn on at all without shutting down the car completely (including waiting for the headlight timers to time-out), then starting it again -- sometimes multiple times.

And naturally you KNOW it never happened when I was actually AT the dealership...

Once my freebie Sirius subscription runs out, the stereo system gets ripped out by the throat anyway. (I don't like Sirius enough to pay their outrageous prices for it, but I like it enough to wait a few months and milk the free subscription.)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just had this happen yesterday. Not sure if the flash update for some of the shifting problems casued this or not, had those applied last Thursday. I was walking to my car after work and I remotely unlocked the doors and for some reason the radio turned on. (I'm pretty sure it was not on all day, otherwise my battery would have been dead.) Opened the back door to put m yjacket and briefcase in the back, shut the door and then when I oped the driver door the radio turned off, just like when you are getting out of the car. I thought it would be a nice function to turn the radio on when you unlock the doors. JMO

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok my wife just called me and asked me to look and see if this was also reported,because as you might guess,her's just did it ,as described . She thought it came on when she used the remote entry.Also the horn honked,she turned that off-can't stand it. Also have lost programed stations, but not the clock.
One more thing to add to the ever growing list

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
If this problem were to re-occur it would be important to note where or not the instrument cluster was also on. A telltale sign would be the odometer display lit up. The cluster is responsible for the BUS communication of the IHS-BUS and its possible the cluster is not going into "sleep mode" and keeping the radio "live".

Its important to note that the radio's power feed originates from the TIPM and diagnostics of this module would also be required. Also included would be the ignition switch input to the TIPM.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If this problem were to re-occur it would be important to note where or not the instrument cluster was also on. A telltale sign would be the odometer display lit up. The cluster is responsible for the BUS communication of the IHS-BUS and its possible the cluster is not going into "sleep mode" and keeping the radio "live".

Its important to note that the radio's power feed originates from the TIPM and diagnostics of this module would also be required. Also included would be the ignition switch input to the TIPM.
Could this have anything to do with the engine cutting off while at speed ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fixed

They finally fixed all my problems. Took the nitro in two weeks ago and they said there was another software update for the trans issues. After the reprogram everything seems perfect. no more jerky feel at 35-45, CD player isnt making the eject sound whenever I open the door, and its not coming on when I push the door unlock button. Starter hasnt hung. All and all I think she is cured. The tech said the last update may have not taken correctly. They even replaced the stero since I was getting static from the aux in. Im just glad I dont feel like a bought a lemon, now maybe the wife will start letting me start buying after market stuff. I think im going to talk her into a carputer....

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had the same issue with the stereo happen with mine. I came back and put groceries in the passenger side and the radio was on. Also today the radio cut out while my wife was driving. It stayed off even after having the vehicle turned off. She had to play with the buttons till it came back on.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I have had the same issue with the stereo happen with mine. I came back and put groceries in the passenger side and the radio was on. Also today the radio cut out while my wife was driving. It stayed off even after having the vehicle turned off. She had to play with the buttons till it came back on.
It is nice to know that the Chrysler heritage for wacky electrical systems carries on as a loveable legacy in our Nitros.

I had a friend with brand new 69 charger where: If you stepped on the brakes while the 4-way flasher was on, the radio would go on and off with each flash of the 4 ways. I have since seen this in other Mopars from the 60's and 70's.

Any other of you old farts like me remember this?

·
Registered
186 Posts
remember

In high school auto shop, a 2 year old hemi cuda was brought in with electrical demons. When the headlight knob was turned to dim the dash lights, the headlights themselves actually got dimmer or brighter! Dealer eventually replaced the harness...only to have it happen again. The owner ended up just leaving his dash lights on full bright so his headlights would work :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
In high school auto shop, a 2 year old hemi cuda was brought in with electrical demons. When the headlight knob was turned to dim the dash lights, the headlights themselves actually got dimmer or brighter! Dealer eventually replaced the harness...only to have it happen again. The owner ended up just leaving his dash lights on full bright so his headlights would work :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
I guess the Chrysler head electrical engineer is still at work 40 years later.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Page 187 of owners manual.

Delay Power Off to Accessories Until Exit.
Says that the accessories stay on for a set time until a door is opened. To make a selection press and release the Function Selection button until "off", "45 sec.," "5 min.," or "10 min." appears.

·
Registered
34 Posts
yup, noticed my radio came on the second time today. It only happens when I hit the unlock a few times to unlock all the doors. Doesn't always happen. Taking it in monday for an extra key, so I'll see what they can tell me about it then I guess. Will post again if they can fix it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well odd story I guess, but I was tired one day while my laundry was drying at the laundry mat so I took a nap in the rear passenger seats in my Nitro R/T. So I got in through the rear passenger door and reached up front to put the key in the ignition for a moment to start up the radio then removed the key knowing that the radio would play for additional 10 minutes. I locked the doors with the key fob (I don’t have the factory alarm installed). After about 7 minutes I wanted to check on something so I manually unlocked the rear driver's side passenger door from the inside and noticed that the radio did not turn off, even after closing the door and then locking the car with the key fob the radio was still playing. Only after unlocking the car again and opening the drivers door the radio then turned off.:i_rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Well odd story I guess, but I was tired one day while my laundry was drying at the laundry mat so I took a nap in the rear passenger seats in my Nitro R/T. So I got in through the rear passenger door and reached up front to put the key in the ignition for a moment to start up the radio then removed the key knowing that the radio would play for additional 10 minutes. I locked the doors with the key fob (I don’t have the factory alarm installed). After about 7 minutes I wanted to check on something so I manually unlocked the rear driver's side passenger door from the inside and noticed that the radio did not turn off, even after closing the door and then locking the car with the key fob the radio was still playing. Only after unlocking the car again and opening the drivers door the radio then turned off.:i_rolleyes:
sounds like it is wired to the driver's door sensor information to control the radio power off delay. I wonder if it works with the other door for our Aussie and Euopean members with right hand steering?

·
Registered
38 Posts
sounds like it is wired to the driver's door sensor information to control the radio power off delay. I wonder if it works with the other door for our Aussie and Euopean members with right hand steering?
Ahh ya the door ajar switch is wired to shut off the radio, its not hardwired to the radio, there's more to it then that. I did a search on this problem and noted NitroTech mentioned something about a faulty TIPM. It was in the thread Meangirl was spouting off about her problems with her Nitro. She mentioned she thought the radio stayed on for 9 nine hours cause she heard it when she returned to her vehicle. Anyways, NitroTech had sound advice, I'd read what he said and tell your service department to look into it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I turned off my car and went into the store when I came out the radio would not come on. After about 2 minutes I just hit the eject cd button and it came back on.

·
Registered
349 Posts
ummm, you know has much has I love my nitro I dont know If I will ever buy anything from dodge or chrysler again, I love to buy new cars its what I do. and in all my imports I have never ever had such problems like the wipers quiting, stero quiting on me ( but when mine started after I put an after market stero in, so I assumed it was there fault, later and alot of money and time we found it to be a fault in the wiring in my Nitro.) This is the first and most likely last dodge I buy, I love my Nitro, however if we all are havin issues with it now, wait until its 3, 4 or 5 yrs old, sadly you would think Chrysler would take a lesson from import companies like Hyundai, I have owned 2 elantras, 1 sonata, 1 tiburon, and finally 1 tucson and none of these cars have had the number of issues my Nitro has had. And I owned these for longer.
However I still love my Nitro. I just hope she stays alive for many yrs to come

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.