Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 Nitro Heat 3.7 4wd
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning. So I have this dilemma. When I purchased my Nitro Heat 3.7 couple years ago the check engine light was always on. It Had a skip in engine at 60 miles per hour , and even after I changed all plugs coil packs wires and cleaned EGR valve, the skipped continued. I just paid for a complete Diagnostic and everything checked out good except a clogged Cadillac converter. Simple enough, but it comes with a hefty Fix-It tag of $1,900 USA. I live in state where my vehicle does not have to pass inspections so I'm down with cutting the catalytic converter off and running a Dynamax or brlo straight down. Is this feasible? And does anyone else have any recommendations? Or has anyone else perform this? I really don't care about running a Cadillac converter anyway. I don't mean to be a contributor to pollution but our own government flutes way more than what my little vehicle will be. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
2011 Nitro Heat 3.7 4wd
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: no one will touch this project. Government are not only fining mechanics, but are now going after owners..,.uuugh. I guess ill just have to take the hit, and have new converters installed. This is what is causing the skip in my engine having one ( of the 2) converters being clogged. Truck should be running immaculate after installation. Ill be running after market exhaust at the tail end

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
maybe the CAT's just need cleaning ?,

Reactions: Scar0

·
I work so I can... SQUIRREL!
2,615 Posts
Try Rockauto.com for the catalytic converters

Reactions: Scar0 and Nitrogen

·
I work so I can... SQUIRREL!
2,615 Posts
I ran into the same issue trying to log into Rockauto. I think it is fixed. I was able to log in. Type in your vehicle year, model & engine in the search box. A new search box will pop up next to the vehicle listing type in catalytic converter & a list of options will pop up for you.

Reactions: Scar0

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good morning. So I have this dilemma. When I purchased my Nitro Heat 3.7 couple years ago the check engine light was always on. It Had a skip in engine at 60 miles per hour , and even after I changed all plugs coil packs wires and cleaned EGR valve, the skipped continued. I just paid for a complete Diagnostic and everything checked out good except a clogged Cadillac converter. Simple enough, but it comes with a hefty Fix-It tag of $1,900 USA. I live in state where my vehicle does not have to pass inspections so I'm down with cutting the catalytic converter off and running a Dynamax or brlo straight down. Is this feasible? And does anyone else have any recommendations? Or has anyone else perform this? I really don't care about running a Cadillac converter anyway. I don't mean to be a contributor to pollution but our own government flutes way more than what my little vehicle will be. Any help would be greatly appreciated
I live in Hawaii and we don’t have to have converts but like they said if you don’t have it they will find you but in any case my converter was clogged on my 4x4 Blazer so I took off the converter and took all of the inside out so it was a straight shot through and put it back it ran fine and if someone checks if you have a converter on they’ll see you still have it attached

·
Premium Member
2011 Nitro Heat 3.7 4wd
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good point..well I chose to have it redone..took the check engine off, and has warranty. Thanks for the reply. Aloha brah

·
Registered
32 Posts
Try Rockauto.com for the catalytic converters

I had the same issue with my 08 (4.0) and used the cleaner sold by Autozone called Prestolite and after roughly 100 miles driven the light went out and the new test showed no issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update: no one will touch this project. Government are not only fining mechanics, but are now going after owners..,.uuugh. I guess ill just have to take the hit, and have new converters installed. This is what is causing the skip in my engine having one ( of the 2) converters being clogged. Truck should be running immaculate after installation. Ill be running after market exhaust at the tail end
After market converters are cheaper and work just fine. When you have them replaced and at least one tank of gas before use only ethanol free gasoline only. Do not use fuel with ethanol in it. It is hard on your entire system especially your converters, and will clog them again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Once is clogged for sure. Can't find anyone to clean them. :(
I searched all over for anyone that can clean Cats, no one will. Like I said, try the Cat cleaner because the issue is mostly caused by using wrong gas and it builds up on the sencors inside your Cat. Cleaner cost me $27 nd was worth every penny.

Reactions: Heat3.7

·
Premium Member
2011 Nitro Heat 3.7 4wd
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wish I had known before I agreed to new system. Thank you for the recommendation though . Hopefully this may help someone else in the future . Regards, mike

G

·
I'm pretty sure aftermarket converters work just fine and are not that pricy.
Yeah the hardest part is finding someone to put them on in a state where you're supposed to have a specific kind it's hard to get him to put on aftermarket no matter how much cash you got they don't want to lose their companies

G

·
My friend I just went through the same thing and I'll save you a headache and a bunch of money although you might want to go ahead and replace everything by the way no offense but 3.7's are junk a 4.0 it also has a 5-speed 3.7 has a 4-speed transmission anyway back to the topic it is a sensor on the exhaust system the oxygen sensors you can get Ghost sensors put on the back you have to talk to your mechanic about it I did the same thing to mine the catalytic converters here in Colorado are $1,400 a piece the ghost sensors change the whole thing they worked on mine and another nitro I saw out here since I put them on mine I have had no issues no check engine light no more codes no more nothing they'll even work if the catalytic converters are burned all the way through do your homework talk to mechanics call around somebody will talk to you eventually blessings to you we're all here if you need us

G

·
My friend I just went through the same thing and I'll save you a headache and a bunch of money although you might want to go ahead and replace everything by the way no offense but 3.7's are junk a 4.0 it also has a 5-speed 3.7 has a 4-speed transmission anyway back to the topic it is a sensor on the exhaust system the oxygen sensors you can get Ghost sensors put on the back you have to talk to your mechanic about it I did the same thing to mine the catalytic converters here in Colorado are $1,400 a piece the ghost sensors change the whole thing they worked on mine and another nitro I saw out here since I put them on mine I have had no issues no check engine light no more codes no more nothing they'll even work if the catalytic converters are burned all the way through do your homework talk to mechanics call around somebody will talk to you eventually blessings to you we're all here if you need us
By the way if you cut off the converters you're going to deal with these tuning problems and you don't want to go that route check the sensors like I told you check into the ghost sensors on there a lot of converters aren't the same they don't process power the same way so don't go too far into that stick with the sensors it's all computer issues anyway

1 - 18 of 18 Posts