Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that I have a rattle in my dashboard. I have been unable to specifically localize where the rattle is coming from. The noise only seems to begin when I am traveling at speeds of 40 mph or greater. It comes from the general area of the tachometer, or close thereto. Has anyone noticed a similar sound? Thank you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Lets narrow this down a little. What model do you have? SXT, SLT, R/T? Automatic (which one) or manual transmission? Did you try to eliminate radio noise? Have you checked your tires for foreign objects? Just a few things to check.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lets narrow this down a little. What model do you have? SXT, SLT, R/T? Automatic (which one) or manual transmission? Did you try to eliminate radio noise? Have you checked your tires for foreign objects? Just a few things to check.
Certainly. I have the SLT model, automatic. I have eliminated radio noise, and the rattle persists. I will check the tires for foreign objects this evening, when I get down to the parking garage. The sound is more prevalent on rougher roads. I commute between Mandeville and New Orleans, Louisiana everyday...and the roads here are pretty rough. I have noticed that a smoother road produces a less pronounced rattle.

The rattle sounds like a spring is loose somewhere. Or perhaps something inside the dash is not tightly connected. It reminds me of my first car, a 1985 S10 Blazer (with a broken speedometer). In that car, the speedometer's needle would errantly flip from side to side despite the speed of the car. As I accellerated, the a rattle would begin to sound from the speedometer itself.

In the Nitro, the sound is similar, but I cannot localize it. While it seems to come from the general area of the tachometer, I do not believe it is the tachometer (which is working perfectly fine).

Nonetheless, I'll check the tires this evening. Thanks for the guidance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.