Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Join!Resistance is futile
22,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for you all, I have thought of getting a rear deflector to keep the crap off the back window has anybody seen the mopar one? and wouldn't it create some drag pulling the air over the roof down on the window?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I have one on mine do not have a problem .Not gonna tell you that it keeps the window clear, but it is a lot cleaner than without it + I like the way it breaks up the back end. No drag or at least not enough to notice.:pepper:

·
Registered
790 Posts
I saw one on Spo4me's R/T. It definitely breaks up the back end a bit. I have to imagine it's an improvement on nothing, especially since car manufacturers have been doing these for years. And the back of mine is usually filthy 10 minutes after I clean it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
i have installed one on my R/T
it does a good job of keeping the back window cleaner then without
i have not felt any drag, i think the reason is that all vehicles have a low pressure area created in the back.....that will cause some drag, what the wing does is funnel some of this air direcly down across the back window

here is a pic of mine

·
Registered
415 Posts
:Racing: Warriorbob, did you have the dealer install yours, if you did it how hard was it to do and how does it go on the nitro. :wavey:

i installed it myself

you have to drill 4 holes and install inserts into them (they even give you a template showing where to drill the holes)
this allows you to bolt the wing onto the rear hatch
its not hard at all........and all the mounting hardware is included in the kit
took maybe an hour to install

·
Registered
257 Posts
i installed it myself

you have to drill 4 holes and install inserts into them (they even give you a template showing where to drill the holes)
this allows you to bolt the wing onto the rear hatch
its not hard at all........and all the mounting hardware is included in the kit
took maybe an hour to install
:pepper: thanks for the info, did you paint yours or is smoke color

·
Registered
415 Posts
:pepper: thanks for the info, did you paint yours or is smoke color
i left it the smoked tinted color...it matches the smoked tint color of the sunroof deflector, my tinted tail lights, third brake light, head lights, windows and my ventvisors (which i have not installed yet) and tinted license plate cover (which as we all can see i had not installed on the car when the pic was taken)

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
I had one on my Explorer. It did help some on keeping the rear window a little cleaner & I don't think there's any drag issue.

I have split feelings on them though. First of all I really like the look... but you want to be sure you love it if you're drilling holes.

The one on my Explorer wasn't a painted one it was the smoke plastic type. As it got older it started getting dull. That wasn't great. I personally wouldn't have any reservation on a painted one.:cool:

·
Registered
415 Posts
plastic pieces like that will get dull just like the paint on any car

they make plastic polish which is to the plastic the same as a good wax is to the paint

i had tinted items on my dodge ram for 8 years (then sold the truck) and with alittle maintence (polish and wax) they were looking just like the day i installed them

painting is a nice option and if my vehicle was any color other then black i would have painted the spoiler to match the vehicle color

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Two things I disagree with worriorbob on, are I put the tinted black on mine because it breaks up all that silver & I think enhances the look. Oh I guess that is only one oh well someday there might be something else.:thk:

·
Registered
415 Posts
to me it depends on the color on a silver car with the tinted window i totally agree with you it adds contrast to the car

silver and the dark smoked (tinted windows) is an awsume color combo :ylsuper:

Two things I disagree with worriorbob on, are I put the tinted black on mine because it breaks up all that silver & I think enhances the look. Oh I guess that is only one oh well someday there might be something else.:thk:

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
i have installed one on my R/T
it does a good job of keeping the back window cleaner then without
i have not felt any drag, i think the reason is that all vehicles have a low pressure area created in the back.....that will cause some drag, what the wing does is funnel some of this air direcly down across the back window

here is a pic of mine
WarriorBob,

Do you have a picture from the side? I have a Red R/T and the back gets nasty dirty and I like the looks of this one but I'd like to see if from the side too.

G

·
Wow, you guys just solved my question of whether to get a rear air deflector or not. I loike the looks and if it helps keep the rear hatch clean I'm all for it. Thats for the info.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.