Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...
Does any one knows how to take off the door panel with out breaking any of it's plastic clips or anything?.
As I'm new on this, I need some kind of step by step procedure in order not to destroy the door and or the panel!!!... got all the tools.
I have an annoting noise coming from the door, took it to the dealer but of course they didn't find anything... and I'm not sure if the rattle comes from the door or from the seat belt system between the front and rear door.
Need your guide and help to open all the possibilities and fix it on my own!!!
I made some off road but the sand was too dry... so it tooks me a lot to kae my Nitro back to the pavement. I didn't force it too much, and made it patiently and step by step, but after a while I smell something like overheated transmission... anyway, just a little smell, no smoke, and I stopped inmediatly, put it on neutral and stay there for a long time in order to let the system cool down, and after that the car runs like always did before that. Just a little advice to be more gentle in the future?.
Txs for answers and advice, Nitro fans:wavey:!!!

· Registered
2,606 Posts
Glad to hear that your Nitro got you through the sand.

Driving through sand requires that you let the tires spin freely. This means that YOU MUST TURN OFF THE TCS. If you drive in sand with the TCS on, your tranny will be fighting the brakes every step of the way.

Did you have your TCS turned off? If not make sure that do that the next time you are running thorugh sand for any extended period of time.

As the stock Nitro tires are not suited for sand at all. You'll need a more open tread pattern.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are right!!!... TXS God I like to take care of my cars, so as soon as I got the smell I stop it inmediatly and after that just moved some meters and stop, and so on until I got the pavement. Do you think I broke something?. It was brand new at that time (less than 1.500 miles), so I hope it was just some little overheat and nothing else. Any way, after that I didn't notice anything different in the tranny, brakes or engine. Let me know what you think as I'm concerned about it... anyway... learned the lesson!!!. I'll love to go to that place again, it's a great lonely beach!.

· Registered
520 Posts
Fasani! I drive through deep dry sand alot where I live. The only thing I can tell you is that you can't really step on the gas and try and make some rooster tails. You have to let the motor do it's job when you are in that kind of situation. I always try and keep it under 2k RPM's as much as possible because it will not shift into second. The next thing you should, if you have stock tires, is let the air out of your tires down to about 15 PSI. This will allow your tires to have more surface to surface with the sand. Driving with stock tires is like water skiing with ice skates. It just don't work. I, myself, am in the process of purchasing some larger A/T tires and rims. It works for me.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks DESERT!!!... I wasn't that tough with my cute Nitro. When I realize that my sand adventure wasn't working, I didn't accelerate too much, and just made 2 or 3 minutes trying to move the Nitro, then stop and keep the engine running on neutral for 2 or 3 minutes... and so on until I got the pavement again. I never got any warning light (for example, transmission oil temp). I just got some kind of smell like the one you used to get from overheated clutch on shift cars. Of course I stopped inmediatly and wait, and finally nothing happends... just a new learning on how to drive and get more from my Nitro. I got the diesel engine, and have to tell you that is amazing. I tryed the 3.7, and liked this one a lot more. It's really, really great.
Well, as I told you, I was concerned by the smell I got, but as my cute Nitro continue working as the first day, I'm not concern anymore, specially that I didn't get any warning light. Thanks for your advice.

· Registered
2,606 Posts
Thanks DESERT!!!... I wasn't that tough with my cute Nitro. When I realize that my sand adventure wasn't working, I didn't accelerate too much, and just made 2 or 3 minutes trying to move the Nitro, then stop and keep the engine running on neutral for 2 or 3 minutes... and so on until I got the pavement again. I never got any warning light (for example, transmission oil temp). I just got some kind of smell like the one you used to get from overheated clutch on shift cars. Of course I stopped inmediatly and wait, and finally nothing happends... just a new learning on how to drive and get more from my Nitro. I got the diesel engine, and have to tell you that is amazing. I tryed the 3.7, and liked this one a lot more. It's really, really great.
Well, as I told you, I was concerned by the smell I got, but as my cute Nitro continue working as the first day, I'm not concern anymore, specially that I didn't get any warning light. Thanks for your advice.
If you had your TCS on the smell may have been your brakes cooking away. The TCS works by applying the brake to the spinning wheel to even out traction. In sand, you have so much wheel spin that the TCS is continually applying the brakes. Brake smell is pretty much the same as a hot clutch in a shift car.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think that you are right... anyway, I'm really enjoying my Nitro. I had a broken window the other day as I left it in the wrong place for a couple of hours... anyway, the service worked great, and finally they found the way of taking away thw annoying noise I had inside the door. So, now I have the smoothest and nicest car in town!!!... :smileup:

G

·
Broken Window.........

I think that you are right... anyway, I'm really enjoying my Nitro. I had a broken window the other day as I left it in the wrong place for a couple of hours... anyway, the service worked great, and finally they found the way of taking away thw annoying noise I had inside the door. So, now I have the smoothest and nicest car in town!!!... :smileup:
You may want to "re-think" where you are leaving your car......just my opinion. It didn't sound like it got broken in a little excursion?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.