Rear Lift Gate Stuck Shut.

Discussion in 'Dodge Nitro Mechanical Problems and Questions' started by Dajoo, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Dajoo

Dajoo New Member

Vehicle:
    Nitro SXT
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Stone White
    Hey guys, got a question for ya. The SO's 08 SXT rear hatch has that lock issue. Ive been doing the "spin the white knob" thing to get it unlocked, and its worked countless times. However, the SO needed to let her brothers use the truck to pick up stuff and they couldnt wait for me to get home to make it work. While trying to open it themselves, they broke the plastic cable stop off the metal arm used to actuate the handle and bent the grooves it slides into. As it is, I cant get the hatch open to get the plastics off so I can get it working for good this time. Any suggestions?

2. Metaldog

Metaldog Well-Known Member NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4 3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    Try removing the back panel from the hatch door? May prove difficult with the door shut. [​IMG]

3. Dajoo

Dajoo New Member

Vehicle:
    Nitro SXT
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Stone White
    To my knowledge, short of dremeling the entirety of the door panel off, I can only remove the panel via open hatch. If only they couldve waited 2 hrs

4. Metaldog

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    In the center (toward the bottom) of the panel, there is a palm sized access door. You will have to pop it open with a screwdriver. But you should be able to open the access door and release the lock. You may have to try a few times, but it should work.

5. Dajoo

Dajoo New Member

Vehicle:
    Nitro SXT
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Stone White
    Ive already done that and turned the white knob unlocking the hatch. The issue is that the plastic slotted cable stop that pulls the metal arm that opens the hatch is broken and the slotted arm is bent/pried open. My hatch is unlocked, but the lever can't make anything move because the cable between latch and handle is floating inside the door.

6. Metaldog

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    Is it possible to maybe use a coat hanger to fish out the cable?

Tucker McLean likes this.
  7. Tucker McLean

Tucker McLean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Dodge Nitro
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Modern Blue
    You definitely won't get that panel off without opening the hatch as the bolts that hold it on (other than the body clips) are in the hand holds at the base of the door. You may be able to get it off from the top without breaking anything though

8. Dajoo

Dajoo New Member

Vehicle:
    Nitro SXT
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Stone White
    So here's where I'm at:

Can't cleanly remove rear panel because I can't open the door. I've popped all clips possible to gain room to work, but I'm still stuck. I've tried turning the knob, doesn't do anything because the last hands on it messed it up worse. I can pull the release, but being unlockable, I really don't know where to go from here. Any ideas?