Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys this may sound kinda dumb but i was looking at my Nitro and wondered if it would be possible to mount the spare tire on the rear hatch so it would have a more off road look. i dont know how the rear hatch is constructed or if it has the strength to hold a mounted tire but i think it would look pretty bad ass and would also allow for dual exhaust tips with out navigating pips around a bottom mounted spare. if any one has any thoughts or ideas im pretty interested in this. Scar0 seems to be into these kinda mods so ill be looking for his opinion. thanks

-Tyler :wavey:

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have had this discussion in another Place.

The Result was:
No carrier available, has to built on everyones own,
The Gas-Dampers are too weak, the Rear gate will not stay open. So these must be exchanged also.

Maybe there are other Ideas? :thk:

·
Registered
16,212 Posts
What happened to your other pic? that was good also!
Anything is possable. The carrier for the tire, anchoring would be the most difficult due to the weight of the wheel\tire together, alot of weight bareing reinforcing would have to be added into the rear door\or through it and on the inside. Then you would face the lift arms not being strong enough to hold or even work at all.
Look for a cheap rear door from the wrecker and start experimenting at home.
Get the same look by placing the tire onto the roof?
Just my thought and at 6am. after a sleepless night!!!!! What did I say? :shakehead: :cool: :chuckle: :rep:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I also was thinking "put it on the "roof":loser1: Oops didnt mean to call you loser...I thought he ws just pointing UP LOL

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i like that tiregate but its close to $800 which is alot for me at the moment so i suppose my off road look will have to wait :(

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
the last solution was the best for me.. too bad it would not work with our hatch as heinibu pointed out

·
Registered
899 Posts
For what its worth,

I've seen several japanese 4x4's especially the Toyota "hilux surf" which have a hinged spare wheel carrier which is mounted above and below the light clusters. You simply swing the wheel/carrier to the side and then open the tailgate.

From an engineering point of view I think the weight on the tailgate would kill the hinges and possibly even distort the roof mountings if not strengthened??

Great idea though and it looks awesome :smileup::smileup: keep us posted if you find anything.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Oh yes, I remember the Toyota Solution with a carrier mounted beside the Rear gate on an extra Carrier (and the dear Wifes looking very sad with always moving this ...[censored]... ;) ), especially when somebody has been parking to near behind the Car.

Not the Solution I would prefer (so I would agree to these Wifes), and additonally I do not know, if there is enough stiffness or reinforcement in our Car.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Here's a cheaper option, for under $100... but you'd temporarily lose hatch access when it's mounted in your hitch... :thk:
Would still look cool, though! :cool: Found it here for $64.79 (Promo Code GIVENOW will give you free shipping in the U.S.): http://www.jcwhitney.com/spare-tire-adapters/p2004360.jcwx Can't solve this problem any cheaper than that!!

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MarkH im actually considering that mount. i dont really use my cargo hatch much but if i did it wouldnt be hard to remove that and if i dont like it at least im only down 65 rather then 800.

would that be loose and move all around? im worried it wont fit exact and will rattle.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,742 Posts
I've given up on this idea for now.
On top would kill what little fuel mileage we get.
The first rack option looks good but as you stated $800 is hard to swallow. Plus the added weight you'd be carrying around.
The last rack option would be a PIA to take off and on with a spare on it. Awkward and heavy. As well as what you mentioned, it will wiggle in the receiver hitch and make noise, and sway side to side. Plus I tow too much for this to make much sense for me.

·
Registered
190 Posts
didn't jeeps have it where where the tire swung out like a door and then the gate lifted up? I think it's a good idea might be able to take parts from a jeep or something and make your own.

·
Registered
630 Posts
MarkH im actually considering that mount. i dont really use my cargo hatch much but if i did it wouldnt be hard to remove that and if i dont like it at least im only down 65 rather then 800.

would that be loose and move all around? im worried it wont fit exact and will rattle.
Everything stuck in the receiver is a little loose... Don't know about how much of a rattle you'd get... I tow a 1200# boat & only get a little bit of a rattle --no biggie. There are ways around that... Jamming in a thin shim... Tapping a hole for a bolt that you can snug in... Or you can always weld it in! :D

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Never Mind...I'm tired and going to bed....LOL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts