Dodge Nitro Forum banner

Rear turn signals come on by themselves solid while parked

2K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  NitroTech 
At first glance considering they are staying on with the brake switch removed, its obviously not an input to the TIPM. The TIPM controls the brake lights. Secondly it makes total sense that the remote start isn't working because the remote start system looks at the brake switch position before allowing remote start operation.

I'm gonna say its a fault within the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module). I suspect if you bring it to the dealer and they check for codes with the StarSCAN they'll find fault with the brake lighting circuits. Hope this helps. :smileup:

Update: first off thanks so far for the replies...however I took it to the dealer on friday ,they replaced the brake switch.reflashed for the brake recall...said that fixed it....and I took it home... it's still doing it,ran the battery flat again ! ,sometime overnite it decided to turn on the lights..back to the dealer again
Wow!! Talk about a mis-diagnosis!!! Here you went and proved the lights stay on when you removed the brake switch and they go and replace it. The flash also would have nothing to do with the brake lights staying on.

I'm still going to say its gonna be the TIPM!! :)

Just got back from the dealer...they decided to get advice from STAR? (is that DC tech support maybe?) and they ordered a new TIPM:smileup:..said it will be in tomorrow morning..they also said it was basically a whole new fuse box? I kinda thought it would just be a remove and replace computer module...I'll let you know how it works out
Yes, STAR is Chrysler Tech support. Or you just use Nitroforumz for tech support!! :smileup:

Alright help me out here fellas...so far I have found that if I pull the fuse for the trailer lighting circuit (factory towing package)the truck brake lights finally extinguish? and they still work when I step on the brake pedal? WTF? ...short or ground issue in the towing pakage? Fyi ..No trailer ...Never have hooked a trailer up
Great find Notar!!

Now, go check the factory trailer connector at the hitch, see if its corroded causing the parasitic ground. Often the trailer hitch plug is at fault. If the plug is ok unplug the connector to the trailer plug and then reinstall your fuse. See what happens then and let me know. Hope this helps. :smileup:

Off hand I'm not aware of other connectors for the factory trailer wiring. It would be worth while to pull the taillights and check those connectors as well. I'd have to check the diagrams on the factory trailer wiring to see what could be a possible cause. I can't do it right now, I happen to be at work, sorry. Got other Dodges to fix at the moment. But let me know if you find anything and I'll look into the diagrams as soon as I can. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.