Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would think that removing the rear wiper arm is pretty straight forward. Well, I popped the cover off, and removed the bolt, but the arm is stuck and won't come off. I've tried tapping on it with a hammer, and gently prying it from side to side with a pair of channel locks, but nothing seems to free it. I'm afraid I'm going to damage the linkage of the arm to the motor if I do anything with too much force.

Any advice?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If a search didn't turn anything up maybe someone who has removed the arm will be along .:wavey:

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
The arm is on there very tight, not had mine off yet due to that fact, but if you want to change just the wiper blade itself, then grab hold of the arm and push on the blade. It will pop off easily.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.....:)...great to see you here.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
I did try to take the whole arm off but as you quite rightly said, it is on there tight, so I didn't go any further for fear of damaging the bodywork. You could try using a small puller tool, just be careful not to damage the plastic shroud molded around the metal insert. Try soaking it in WD40 or the like overnight first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got it off last night. Living in the north east US in December it's quite cold. Lacking a heat gun, I grabbed the next best thing I had: my wife's hair dryer. I heated up the base area of the arm around the spline for a few minutes and then used the channel locks on it again. After prying from side to side a few times with a little more force than before, it finally came free and slid off. Turns out there is some grease around the spline and I guess with the extreme cold temps we've been having it kind of bonded the arm to the spline.

So, for anyone in cold temps, try heating it up a little bit and then try some pliers...

Thanks for the welcome and the tips, everyone!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By the way...I needed to remove the arm because it was broken. So I wasn't too worried about causing any damage to the old arm in the process. If you are trying to get the arm off and are going to put that same arm back on, I would say wrap a rag around the hub of the arm before applying pliers to it. And pry very gently, as the plastic is very fragile. I cracked the housing in a few places trying to get it free. But like I said I was replacing it with a new one, so I didn't give much thought to protecting it...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but wanted to post on it regardless - there is a cheap tool you can get to remove the rear wiper arm that wont damage it.

Someone stole my rear wiper, well really just tore it off for whatever reason so I had to replace it. Rock Auto suggested a rear wiper arm tool and for $3-$4 it worked great.

Link is for Advanced Auto parts - just to show what the tool looks like
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-help-windshield-wiper-arm-tool-49023/12019064-P

·
Registered
13 Posts
An anyone provide any better method that coming close to breaking the wiper arm? I tried to soak the ATM in wd40 and let it sit over night. The thing still feels like it's bonded to the metal arm. I keep looking for a release clip but can't find anything. Is it really just a grip and rip type situation?

·
Registered
322 Posts
They are not that bad to remove if it's a tapered stud like the front. Pull on it while rocking it up and down. They do sell wiper arm pullers or you can use a battery terminal puller. I've never had to heat one and I've taken some off of alot older vehicles than our nitros. And the wiper blade itself just clips off like normal. Just replaced mine. It looks like a little plastic stud you push on and it releases.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I used a Dremel tool with a cut wheel and cut it till I could get a screwdriver in the cut and wedged loose . I worked perfect . Just take your time .

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
322 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Reviving an old dead thread, just because it has good information in it.... I've tried everything except the dremel... Guess this will be a good reason to go buy one. I had the wiper puller come in Friday and have only managed to damage the black plastic around the arm. This things gripping on for dear life at this point.

My arm is broken, and to make matters worse, I lost the nut for the wiper working on it this weekend...

·
I work so I can... SQUIRREL!
2,427 Posts
Good idea, GL. Mine needs replacing soon too. Just started to split on the end.:(

·
Registered
40 Posts
I replaced my rear window wiper today, I was able to pull the plastic covering off without breaking it, the cover that hides the nut. I can see where warming it up with a hair dryer might be of some assistance. You have to pull or spread it out at the upper end of it, the part further away from the base at the outbound and inbound side of it. There are two pins that need to be released out of the holes.
The old battery terminal puller that I have would not work,( it was to short ) maybe ones made in this century would but I had to get my friendly super duper handy man neighbor to come over with a puller that he has, I think it was a gear puller, anyway the plastic kept breaking/chipping but it finally held long enough to be able to pull it off. After all of that I can see where a dremel would work to cut it off if you had to. FYI it was on a 2007 Nitro, and the first time replacing the unit.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
i bought new wiper blades for the front last week, and (never seen before) next to the wipers they where selling a small wiper arm removal tool, pretty sure they will be all over Ebay for a few $'s

·
Registered
40 Posts
I read about the wiper arm removal tool in a post in this thread. I was just to lazy to go to the store, and wanted to try my battery terminal pulley, and my neighbor with all his gadgets was much closer. I probably should pick one of those up though. Also thinking now, ( in trouble now ) that the windshield wipers are not the same set up as the rear window wiper. I have never looked.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts