Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I have a 2010 Dodge Nitro that just started with a red light and TPMS Flash while driving then goes away. Sometimes it does not start/crank at all until like several attempts. No check engine light. No BCM codes.

I know several others posted the same scenario but no one responded on the correct fix or what they did to fix it. It must be a common thing that happens to Nitros. Thanks

Attachments

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,459 Posts
Welcome to the forum brianrrr93. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

Did you see/ read post 2 in the other thread?
Upon thinking about it, the WCM also receives tire pressure signals from the TPM Sensors.
If the WCM is going out or there is a short in one of the wires, that would explain both lights.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum brianrrr93. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".

Upon thinking about it, the WCM also receives tire pressure signals from the TPM Sensors.
If the WCM in going out or there is a short in one of the wires, that would explain both lights.
Thanks for the response!!

Ok. Where exactly is the WCM?

When the Nitro fails to start/crank there is no security red light going on nor TPMS flash.

Key fob works correctly by unlocking and locking at all times.

Also when the red light flash and TPMS flash occurs its after a certain mileage has happened. Not 100% Sure on it though but it appears as that.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

If the WCM in going out or there is a short in one of the wires, that would explain both lights.
Or would someone know where the ground wire for this specific module is? Thanks

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
firstly always disconnect the Negative battery lead before working on the vehicle electrics.

the WCM is on the steering column its a square box with a round piece that fits over the ignition key barrel, the round piece is the part which picks up the security signal from the ignition key , and the ground wire is behind the left front kick panel, the ground wire is black, it will be attached to several other ground wires and bolted to the vehicles bodywork.
here is a pic of a WCM similar to a nitro.

Reactions: Scar0

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,459 Posts
You can replace the WCM DIY, but it (and the Nitro) will not work until the rig is taken to a dealer to have it, your keys, and tire sensors programmed into it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks I will try to replace the wcm. I changed the battery last night but it still did not fix the issue. All points to wcm now.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,459 Posts
Ok thanks I will try to replace the wcm. I changed the battery last night but it still did not fix the issue. All points to wcm now.
Just remember the Nitro will not start at all after the WCM is replaced.
Until a dealer programs it...

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,459 Posts
Dealer will need to do this because the PCM needs to be reached as well as the WCM.

·
Registered
13 Posts
could this be a security feature to prevent theft. i purchased mine several weeks ago. everything working as it should and this morning no start.. I have not registared it my name yet ???

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,459 Posts
could this be a security feature to prevent theft. i purchased mine several weeks ago. everything working as it should and this morning no start.. I have not registared it my name yet ???
Not likely what your problem is. Unless the person or place you purchased from installed a non-OEM lowjack in the rig.
Registering in your name has no bearing on if the rig will start.
If the red dot on the dash stays lit, that means the rig does not recognize the key. And yes, that is a security feature built into the Nitro.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts