Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I've searched all over the internet and on this forum and couldn't find a definitive answer. I hope i can find an answer from the collective.

I'm working on replacing the head gasket on my 07 Dodge Nitro 3.7L. I'm at the point of putting the heads back on the block and i was wondering if i could reuse the old head bolts because they seem to be in a good condition. Please check the photos.

Few manuals that i found online say these bolts are NOT torque to yield bolts and can be reused if the threads are straight.

I would like your educated input on this,

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Wood Tool Font Nail Metal

Household hardware Screw Metal Fastener Nickel

Office supplies Line Household hardware Wood Cosmetics

Nickel Household hardware Metal Cylinder Fashion accessory

·
Registered
07’ SLT 4x4 Lifted, 3.7 auto
814 Posts
dont know what the book says..........but ive always been told to NEVER reuse one.......after they are torqued they will not seat the same again. Once your that deep in the engine its not worth it........if you had to go all the way back in over a head bolt youd of wasted all that time and all the gaskets. ALSO if one breaks off in the head....good luck lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
Buy new ones.
Even if they are not torque to yield, there may be rust or galling or minor damage to the threads.
This will then give an incorrect torque reading which can lead to premature failure of the head gaskets .(again)
For the effort involved, just fit new ones.
Clean the holes out too with air, and a wire brush similar to the ones for cleaning gun barrels. Thead chasing can remove material if not carefully done.
Also get your torque wrench checked, some can be >10% out, a decent main dealer service center will have a torque calibration checker.

Russ
Member SAE.

·
Registered
16 Posts
dont know what the book says..........but ive always been told to NEVER reuse one.......after they are torqued they will not seat the same again. Once your that deep in the engine its not worth it........if you had to go all the way back in over a head bolt youd of wasted all that time and all the gaskets. ALSO if one breaks off in the head....good luck lol
NEVER reuse them. they are streach bolts.

·
Registered
74 Posts
NEVER reuse them. they are streach bolts.
No, they are not.
The service manual discusses how to test if they are in good enough condition to reuse or must be replaced. It explicitly states

"The cylinder head bolts are tightened using an angle torque procedure, however, the bolts are not a torque-to-yield design."

• The 8 M11 bolts should be lubricated with clean engine oil
  • The 4 M8 bolts must be coated with sealant (eg Mopar Lock and Seal Adhesive) before installing.

The tightening procedure is rather involved and very specific.

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
2ndgen is correct,
if the bolt threads are not stretched (the technical term is called "necked" )then you can reuse them, easy way to check is to put a straight edge against the threads, check the tip of all the threads touch the straight edge,
same for 3.7l and 4.0l cylinder head bolts,

Reactions: JPthekid
1 - 9 of 9 Posts