Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, Does anyone out there have remote start? I'm thinking about adding it on. I go to work at 3:30am and would love to start it before I go out in the morning. Does it work ok and not mess with anything else?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Haven't heard anything about this yet however, it depends on where you live if this is practical. Charlotte, Nc is about 1 3/4 hrs away and they won't allow warming up of vehicles.......(vacant). Check your local laws to be safe and make sure no one drives off either with your new ride!

·
NITROHOLIC™
1,794 Posts
Even with remote start someone cant just "open the door and drive off" The alarm would still be set and they would have to have a key with the Sentry chip to drive off with the vehicle..It is a good option for mornings like that just dont leave it running too long and youll be good :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
My dealer has it on order for me, and it's supposed to just be a plug-in job on their end. I understand that it's a late-availability item from the factory, so this is the only option right now. Once it comes in I'll let you know how everything went.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Picked up my remote start kit yesterday. Just have to find time to do the install. At the dealership it takes about 1.5 to 2.0 hours for the install. They work good and intergrate well with the vehicle if it has an existing factory alarm system.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine is going in next week but I am not using the Dodge remote start. I prefer one that shows you on the remote when the car is running and how much longer it will continue to run. This is always the first addition to every vehicle I purchase. It's a lifesaver on those zero degree days!!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Mine is going in next week but I am not using the Dodge remote start. I prefer one that shows you on the remote when the car is running and how much longer it will continue to run. This is always the first addition to every vehicle I purchase. It's a lifesaver on those zero degree days!!
Zero!!! That's warm. We're expecting -35 C by the weekend never mind the wind chill.:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had my remote starter installed three weeks ago by the dealer. Was a plug in module, so I was told. They had cut the wiring harness and when they mounted the safety switch on the underside of the hood, they put a dimple in the hood. They fixed that but I have been back four times since because the remote door locks work when they want. That they can't fix......

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
The Mopar remote start is pretty much plug and play. There are about 11 connections that have to be made. The Nitro has a few more connections then some of the other Chrysler vehicles because of the way the horn is wired. Some are spliced and soldered but it is relatively easy. To program the system you need to have two keys. You don't need to go to a dealership to activate it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My remote start came in and was installed yesterday while my Nitro was in getting something else taken care of. The service desk said that it was a little more work than other vehicles but it's in there now and seems to work great.

One thing that I'm a little disappointed about though is that the remote start is on its own keyfob, and not integrated into the key as in the pictures on Dodge's website. At least this is how it is with the dealer-installed kit. I'm going to have to talk to my salesman, as that was one of the things that I specifically asked him about.

Can anyone confirm that the factory-installed remote start is just another button on the key, and not a separate keyfob? If the dealer were to order a replacement all-in-one key, what are the chances that it will take the place of both my existing keyfobs, given that I have the dealer-installed remote start and not the factory-installed one?

Thanks for any help here!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Ordering a replacement all-in-one key will not work. THe factory remote start is significantly different in terms of intergration with the vehicle electrical systems. I agree the factory remote start with the intergrated start button of the key is nice.

·
Registered
202 Posts
That's unfortunate. I guess I'll never really understand why the Mopar dealer-installed options aren't quite the same as the factory-installed options. U-Connect, and now this. Even the dealer-installed fog lights for my old 2003 Liberty didn't quite function the same as they would have from the factory until I rewired them per the service manual wiring diagrams as opposed to the kit's installation instructions.

In any case, new toys brings new issues. I had noticed earlier tonight that I had to be much closer to the vehicle for the lock/unlock to work than I remembered, and now the lock/unlock buttons on either of the RKE transmitters no longer function. (It's too late tonight to try the panic button.) The battery doesn't appear to be the problem as I swapped batteries with a functioning RKE from another vehicle. I can only imagine the remote start install had something to do with it, but not knowing the details of what was done it's only a guess. Back to the dealer..

·
Registered
202 Posts
Isn't this how it always is: Tried the RKE at home and when I got to work, no go. Called the dealer, he said swing by and they'll look real quick. Check it once more before heading out to the dealer and same thing, it doesn't work. I get to the dealer and give it one last shot....works like a champ.

They think that maybe because it's working now that something had to reset itself after the remote start install, and to keep an eye on it. So I go back to work and....you guessed it. Remote lock/unlock doesn't work again. %#[email protected]$!

Intermittent problems are always the most fun to work through! Any idea where the RKE module lives? Maybe it's a loose connection. Can't wait to get my hands on a service manual..

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
You know I just had a thought and I'm gonna look into it when I get the chance. The signal for the remote starts are just RF to the WCM (wireless control module) both remote start systems use this so in theory the key fob with the remote start button may work. I'll let everyone know once I get the chance to try this out.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Intermittent problems are always the most fun to work through! Any idea where the RKE module lives? Maybe it's a loose connection. Can't wait to get my hands on a service manual..
Still trying to figure this one out. It seems as though the keyfob buttons stop working every 1-3 times I drive the vehicle. I've tried to wiggle every connection I could find that had to do with the remote start install to no avail. What I finally discovered is that I can get the lock/unlock/panic buttons to work again by simply turning the key to the Accessory position in the ignition. I don't even have to start it. The keyfob then works fine until I drive it some random number of times again.

Also, when it's not working, the tire pressures don't seem to update in the EVIC display. I know that's another function of the WCM, could it just be that the module suddenly became flaky, or is it more likely that there still is a loose/not properly connected wire in there someplace that 'wakes up' when you apply power to the rest of the system?

07rednitro - is this the same issue you're having? I just re-read your post from a little while back..

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.