Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2011 Dodge Nitro Heat 3.7L
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if any Nitro's came with remote start, but i have found a plug-n-play kit for my Nitro. I haven't purchased yet, but curious if anyone has ever bought a plug-n-play remote start kit? I bought one that claimed to be "plug-n-play" and once i received my package and opened it, it had to be spliced into several different wires and i did not like that idea. The kit i'm looking at says it's all plug-n-play and comes with the instructions on how to. I even asked the seller if it was 100% plug-n-play. To start you push the factory lock button on the key fob three times for it to start. It runs 10-15mins before cutting off, so if you start it and don't get inside the vehicle for a few mins it cuts itself off.

· I work so I can... SQUIRREL!
2,687 Posts
I know that Chrysler did have the "factory remote start" as an order option. The key had an additional button on the remote for it.

Eventually, I plan to add a remote start to my Nitro, also. This is probably the one I will get:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BMWS5HK/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Reviews say it is one of the best on the market. :)

Reactions: Patrick Lang

· Registered
5,974 Posts
all the ones have have seen on the forum involve some kind of rewiring of the security system, so plug-n-play, not so sure, also the range of the remote has been a problem for some.
the one Metaldog mentions, some of the buyer comments are not good.

2,687 Posts
Wouldn't that key have to be programed to the vehicle?
In most cases, no. The remote start unit usually has to be programmed to work with your key fob (unless it comes with its own remote fob). The unit I listed is already pre-programmed from the manufacturer to work with Chrysler vehicles. It comes with explicit instructions on installation and remote sync. If you encounter issues, Fortin has a hotline you can call to speak with a "live" service tech, that will walk you through the process, if needed.

Reactions: Patrick Lang

· Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I purchased a flashlogic remote start off eBay for $80. complete plug and play. Just plugs into the back of ignition. Took 20 minutes to install. Can look up install vids on YouTube. Works great, hit lock 3x on factory key and starts right up.
Do you have a link or part number?
The flashlogic i ordered wasn't plug-n-play :\

2,687 Posts
Patrick, you may be able to get a new shell for the key fob, that has the buttons in it, and replace the buttons. That's really all you need. :)

· Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Aw, heck, man! You just hit that red button when you want it to start! ;) Right? :p JK
oh yeah! lol
ive looked up a couple. i plan to replace it.
i still need to try having a spare key made also. when i purchased it, i was only given one key.
(hoping i never loose my keys,l because i have a good bit of them for multiple things)

2,687 Posts

· Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No, I was meaning just the fob shell. It usually comes with new replacement buttons.

https://www.amazon.com/KeylessOptio...=8-9&keywords=dodge+key+fob+replacement+shell

https://www.amazon.com/KeylessOptio...=8-3&keywords=dodge+key+fob+replacement+shell

I just had to do this for my Jeep Cherokee. The buttons on my fob were worn like yours. I bought a new shell for a few bucks & just replaced the rubber key pad. :)
i'm actually liking that red one. may have to buy it to match my Nitro

2,687 Posts
i'm actually liking that red one. may have to buy it to match my Nitro
I'm not a huge fan of red, but I like it too. :cool: It would definitely be different. I noticed on Amazon, that they also have a set of two replacement keys for about $30. But you would have to have the keys cut and programmed to your vehicle. A dealer has to program them, if I'm not mistaken. o_O

1 - 20 of 25 Posts