Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rocker assembly, apparently the Nitro has some issues with the rocker assembly, found this out yesterday..as i was heading home from work and the Nitro began banging like someone threw a hammer into a running engine..Without any warranties the cost of total repairs are going to cost me around $2,500 to 3,000 dollars..at the dealership. Now the vehicle has approximately 125,000 miles on it would this be a normal issue around this mileage point?? Also the engine had plenty of oil...
Dealer stated that with this price would be with labor, parts and out the door in two days, as the 3.7L is notorious for doing this. As the bar that holds the rockers becomes out of alignment and eventually snaps causing a shit load of damage.
No engine light received.
Parts: Rocker Arms, Lifters, Rocker Arm bars, 2 cam shafts.
Just some ticking in the beginning and then the banging Just wondered how many others dealt with this.?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,115 Posts
Rocker arms falling off the valves is kinda common with the 3.7. The lifters get gummed up and fail to lift properly. But to have a cam snap is not common.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[QUOTE="Scar0, But to have a cam snap is not common.
[/QUOTE]
yeah not sure they snapped but the service department at dealership suggested to replace those as well.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,115 Posts
Depending on what the actual damage is, it may be a waste of time to replace the Cams. But the only way to know is to pull the valve covers off and have a look see. Did service person do this?

If it was just a rocker arm that fell off, usually they can just be popped back on(again depending on the damage). But that will not cure the cause as to why it fell off. IE a stuck lifter...
Without being able to see what happened(damage), it's hard to say what all needs to be replaced.

Best case; Lifter and rock arm replacement.(would not hurt to do both sides)
Middle line; If the CAM lobes were damaged or worn down bad, you need a new CAM.
Mid to upper; A valve got bent, then that head would need to be rebuilt.
There have been worst case instances when a rocker arm falls off and dislodges the valve spring retainer, thus dropping a valve into a cylinder, popping a hole in the piston. Again this is worst case, which would require a complete bottom up rebuild. Or engine replacement.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well she just got into shop today I'll get word on what the damage is tomorrow hopefully..I'll keep ya posted ..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bad news..was told all the damage is at the bottom of the engine..and the whole engine will need replaced, which will cost $8,000..or a used engine which they will need to find one within the same mile range..of 125,000 and they can't guarantee a used engine would be any better.... Wife says get rid of Nitro and get another vehicle...
☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,115 Posts
Dang! sorry to hear that @ROBERT JOHNSON.
The 3.7 is usually a very reliable long lasting engine. We have members here with just under 300,000 miles on them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah..I know I was hoping to make mine last just as long but apparently the two previous owners didn't take as much care as I did with it.....but it is what it is..just got to move on..so I'll either be parting it out or selling it off to pick and pull yard..

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Sorry to here your troubles Robert
maybe put it up for sale here on the forum, i can think of a few members who may be interested in buying it !!!

Reactions: Scar0

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
maybe put it up for sale here on the forum, i can think of a few members who may be interested in buying it !!!
[/QUOTE
Yeah I thought about that as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had the rocker assy go bad in my 4.0 at 45k miles. Got a new one from Dodge. It went bad again at 73k miles. Both times, no lights no codes. The second time it bent 2 valves which threw a misfire code.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts