Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yea, I like it too. But I hope they make a version that requires removal of the front air dam. Clearance up front is going to be even less with those big bars running under the air dam.

EDIT: I've sent my suggestion to an email address on the Romik.com website. They responded with a thank you & that the suggestion would be sent to their designers.
I'd suggest you all send them suggestions too: romikusa(at)verizon.net

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
How good do you guys think this would look on a monotone R/T? The only reason I want anything at all up front is to mount off road lights. I dread adding a lot of weight to the front of the Nitro. I am kind of like you AirJunky, want something not quite so low in the front.

·
Registered
534 Posts
That bull bar looks good but i'd agree about the ground clearence issue. You'd have to watch your approach and exit angles pretty close if you're off road. But at least it looks like the bull bar has a skid plate attached.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So jonrs & nitroinsocal.... you guys are lowering your Nitros, right?
Amazing how different tastes are. I just can't see making an SUV of any kind as unpractical as possible (for me) is a good thing to do. Guess you guys aren't using your trucks like I do.

I think this is a good start for a front tube bumper, very close, but not quite there yet. I hope they take our suggestions for real.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
Air,
No lower going on here...LOL...Mine will actually be raised slightly once the stock tires are gone.
I live in the country on a dirt road and use mine to haul horse feed nearly every week. Oh, and I have found that turtle tile works great as a mat in the back.
I like the concept, just not this example..to low, does not wrap the headlights, looks cheap (to me..)

:SHOCKED:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Oh, I guess I like the shape OK. It's not likely that anyone will come up with something better. I think I would probably have to tape off portions of it, sand blast it, then paint to match the rest of the vehicle. There is just too much stainless showing. Might leave the stainless where it curves under the front and paint the 3" bars. If I had an SLT with the chrome grill, I would order it the way it is. Might just have to contact them and ask how much this weighs. After thinking about the earlier post, not sure you can remove the lower front air dam on an R/T. It is body color. I'll have to wait to get mine before I get too excited.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I like the concept, just not this example..to low, does not wrap the headlights, looks cheap (to me..)
It is a matter of preference. I don't like guards that wrap the headlights, way to much for me. I want to be able to make out the lines of vehicle, not cover them up. Want to mount some big ol Flamethrowers on there so I can see at night while patroling for downed lines.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK jonrs,
I have to agree with you on several things. It is too low. But I think removing the air dam & designing the bull bar to go under the bumper pretty close to it, might improve that.
I cracked my air dam in some deep snow when the truck was only a few weeks old. I repaired it from the backside, but frankly I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

But the grille is one reason why I bought this truck. It looks bad as he11. I don't feel the need to cover it up with a wrap around bumper. A push bar or bull bar will be great for me.

To HVNitro.... I believe it's the same setup on the R/T, bolt on air dam, just different material.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yes, you are right, I am lowering mine, not just for looks but also for performance. Here in SoCal, I have no snow to worry about plowing through, or very many dirt roads to worry about. I will still be able to make it up the mountains to go skiing or snowboarding or just a day at the snow for the kids. Practical use of an SUV is like everything else, all up to the owner. Oh yeah, and this particular model of guard, just doesn't do anything for me. Smittybuilt is about 5 minutes from my house and I suppose a trip to them to see if they are developing anything wouldn't be a total waste.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hear ya, nitroinsocal. My brother lives near Elsinore & he would have a hard time with a lowered 4x4 around there.

I'd certainly be interested in hearing what Smittybuilt tells you. But I emailed them a few weeks ago & got zero response.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
I don't think it looks bad... but if you look you'll see the add ons are teamed up with the stock R/T 20" wheels. Nice!!!
If anything it's the combo that makes that look. I'm not saying I'm in love with the look... but it does have a rugged "for street" look. :cool:

·
Registered
233 Posts
I contacted Romick just a few days ago. The bull bar is not ready for distribution yet, however the nerf bars are. I like the look of the bull bar, and with the amount of "critters" (elk included but I'll save that story for another time) on the highways up here, I think it is needed. We too plow snow with the front end at times so clearance is an issue as well. Doubt I'll go with the nerf bars, but have seriously been considering the bull bar.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The manufacturer told me the bull bars will be available in black powder coat- Im sure they will look great on the front of my sunburst orange nitro.
You can always paint to match your Nitro. Did they tell you how much $$ they were going for, or do we have to go to a distributor for that info?

Oops...never mind, found them at auto truck toys. They have both the powder coated and stainless versions. They also show to have available the Mopar OEM Rock Rails from their alternate warehouse, 2 day turn-around. Futhermore, you can find a Wilmore stainless show bar that is about half the price of the Mopar Rock Rails. Looks to be 2" or 2 1/2" instead of 3" Mopar.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.