Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 R/T & it's beem a nightmare trying to find a roof rack system that will carry 2 - 14' kayaks or to carry anything for that matter. When I got my Nitro I thought it came with the side rails but I was mistaken. I know they can come from the factory with, but I have yet to find a Nitro that has them. I can buy the cross bars from Didge but they do not sell the side rails. They say it has to be installed at the factory when it was built. if you look at the the roof of your Nitro it seems to be an easy fix. Just unscrew a few capped nuts and bolt something on - right? Can I just build my own side rails and do that? Or will it cause a 16 car pile up on the interstate? I've checked all the major aftermarket dealers but I got nada. I need a solution ASAP! Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Seems like you had the roof rails replaced in the past due to the recall. I had this problem and when they changed mine they didn't reinstall the metal rails. If you buy the roof bar setup for a 2009 or newer Nitro it will have all the parts you need.

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
Seems like you had the roof rails replaced in the past due to the recall. I had this problem and when they changed mine they didn't reinstall the metal rails. If you buy the roof bar setup for a 2009 or newer Nitro it will have all the parts you need.
Amen to that, brother. The new Production Cross Bar kit comes with the metal rails.

Very easy installation. If you look at what is already in place on the plastic side rails, under the four bolts on each side is an oval shaped plastic washer. These washers must be pried off in order for the metal rails included with the kit to sit flush on the plastic side bars. Installation takes less than an hour!

3 Hoosier's in a row posting - some sort of record?

:cool:

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
You can also just get the metal rails that fit into the plastic on the sides, onto which the cross bars attach. Don't let the dealer BS you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can also just get the metal rails that fit into the plastic on the sides, onto which the cross bars attach. Don't let the dealer BS you.
The parts for my 2007 were not available. After market cross bars will not fit as they are designed to clamp around the side rails. This is my solution, cost less than $50.00.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts