Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went looking for the rails for the roof rack and when I saw a $300 price tag on them I passed out. When I regained consciousness I ran to the garage and made these instead.

2"x1" unistrust 52" long. You will notice that I cut it at the center of one of the holes to place the first stud in the center of the second hole.

1.jpg

I had to notch out a few chunks where the nuts go so I could fit a socket in the unistrut and I had to take the die grinder to a few of the holes to make them fit over the studs a little better.

2.jpg

Got a little crazy with the die grinder, was still feeling woozy about that $300.

3.jpg

First notch to fit the socket and these are cut along the edge that will sit against the plastic molding on the roof so you wont see them.

4.jpg

As you can see on the roof, the rear has a slight contour on it so I had to make another cut straight down the unistrut on either side to make the bend.

5.jpg

Here is the rail before paint.

6.jpg

And the small bend

7.jpg

Few coats of flat black.

8.jpg

I just got done painting these when I wrote this up and I did test fit them before hand so I know they fit and I have a roof rack coming for the old girl so when that get here I will update this with finished install pictures.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Unistrut , Kindorf Same thing . Nice idea

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kindorf? I've never heard it called that before. 2 names for the same thing or is it a brand name or something?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,207 Posts
I like innovative thinking. Well done.
So whats your plan to put on it?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Being in the Industrial Maintenance field it's called unistrut by the mechanics and kindorf by the Electricians. Same thing ? I guess it depends what you do with it . Lol:rolleyes: it also comes in 3/4" & 1 1/2" size too .

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that explains why I called it unistrut being a mechanic and all haha. I have a roof rack coming that should be here sometime next week. When it gets here and I mount it up, I will update this post with how.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went looking for the rails for the roof rack and when I saw a $300 price tag on them I passed out. When I regained consciousness I ran to the garage and made these instead.

2"x1" unistrust 52" long. You will notice that I cut it at the center of one of the holes to place the first stud in the center of the second hole.

View attachment 21217

I had to notch out a few chunks where the nuts go so I could fit a socket in the unistrut and I had to take the die grinder to a few of the holes to make them fit over the studs a little better.

View attachment 21218
Got a little crazy with the die grinder, was still feeling woozy about that $300.

View attachment 21219

First notch to fit the socket and these are cut along the edge that will sit against the plastic molding on the roof so you wont see them.

View attachment 21220

As you can see on the roof, the rear has a slight contour on it so I had to make another cut straight down the unistrut on either side to make the bend.

View attachment 21221

Here is the rail before paint.

View attachment 21222

And the small bend

View attachment 21223

Few coats of flat black.

View attachment 21224

I just got done painting these when I wrote this up and I did test fit them before hand so I know they fit and I have a roof rack coming for the old girl so when that get here I will update this with finished install pictures.

Correction: I used 2"x3/4" unistrut not 2"x1"

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Great idea ! And you can put the spring clips anywhere along the rails. Nice !

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,207 Posts
Very cool Mod. Can't wait to see the rack on it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE!!

Work has been a little crazy so getting this done has kinda taken a back seat but here's my progress so far. 2" aluminum flat stock 1/8" thick.

20151228_153309.jpg

This is a very inexpensive soft metal bender I made out of some scrap in the shop. Looks kinda shitty because like I said its made of scrap however it works perfectly fine for my needs.

20151228_153319.jpg

I threaded the angle iron on the bottom to bolt the aluminum underneath the top piece of angle.

20151228_153325.jpg

An extender that slides on and off for more torque

20151228_153333.jpg

I can get a full 90 degrees out of it.

20151228_153342.jpg

And now they're all bent and ready to test fit. I used a 3/8 - 16 bolt and spring not

20151229_160550.jpg

Don't mind the marks from being bent, I will clean it up and get them painted. Give me another week and I should have this finished with my new rack mounted up. Sooner if work slows down a little haha. Okay, time for a nap.

20151229_160558.jpg

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,207 Posts
It took me a bit to figure out where the metal "to be bent" went in the frame. But once I figured it out, its a pretty cool design.

The problem I found when bending aluminum is that the bent section is weakened from small stress fractures on the outside of the bend. The tighter the radius and more Deg. you bend it, the more it fractures. Aluminum does not stretch like steel does because of the molecular structure of it. If you try to bend it back a little it will likely just snap in two. So just beware...

Reactions: Stevenitrosublette

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Nice bender ! That gives me Ideas ? Lol Anyway, Not sure what your Aluminum clips will do yet ? But the spring clips that go in the " Unistrut" go in with the springs down pushing the clip up ? But you knew that. Right ?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It took me a bit to figure out where the metal "to be bent" went in the frame. But once I figured it out, its a pretty cool design.

The problem I found when bending aluminum is that the bent section is weakened from small stress fractures on the outside of the bend. The tighter the radius and more Deg. you bend it, the more it fractures. Aluminum does not stretch like steel does because of the molecular structure of it. If you try to bend it back a little it will likely just snap in two. So just beware...
You can bend aluminum back up to 5 degrees with out it breaking.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,207 Posts
You can bend aluminum back up to 5 degrees with out it breaking.
I learned something new today, Thanks!
I did not know the Deg, you could go back to, just that it would snap when I went back.

Reactions: Stevenitrosublette
1 - 20 of 38 Posts