Dodge Nitro Forum banner

Scratches swirl marks?

5K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  nitrouk 
#1 ·
Ok, I've only had my Nitro for 2 weeks. It's only been washed twice, and I have ugly swirl marks and scratches. This was done at a hand car wash on both occasions. I guess although microfiber towles were used, they had to be dirty! Does anyone know anything about a scratch remover made by "Nu-Finish"?:thk:

#7 ·
id never take my nitro (or any other car) to just any shop and especially no automated/drive thru carwash..I dont do t myself right now mainly cause I hate drying it and dont have the time for that now :p There is a local chain here that does the wash entirely by hand and they do a great job..plus they have big blowers to help dry it off..$14 later and my car is shining..they even vacuum out the interior real quick too :)

#8 ·
id never take my nitro (or any other car) to just any shop and especially no automated/drive thru carwash..I dont do t myself right now mainly cause I hate drying it and dont have the time for that now :p There is a local chain here that does the wash entirely by hand and they do a great job..plus they have big blowers to help dry it off..$14 later and my car is shining..they even vacuum out the interior real quick too :)
This is not just "any" car wash. These guy's do cars that average 30k up. I guess they just were a bit careless last time. I took my Caliber there, and never had a problem.

#10 ·
WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE CAR WASH...REMEMBER I AM HERE IN TEXAS

#12 · (Edited)
Ok, I've only had my Nitro for 2 weeks. It's only been washed twice, and I have ugly swirl marks and scratches. This was done at a hand car wash on both occasions. I guess although microfiber towles were used, they had to be dirty! Does anyone know anything about a scratch remover made by "Nu-Finish"?:thk:
That's all it takes. Just drop the towel on the ground once. Pick up a couple grains of sand or a little dirt... then rub. I did it once myself... to a Corvette. That taught me. If it hits the ground for even a second it gets thrown away or washed in the washer! Most hand car washes are good about this... but it only takes one mistake to ruin your day.
I used to own a couple body shops though and there is good news. As long as the scratch is in the clearcoat (which it most likely is on a new vehical... and why I'm now a big fan of polishing out the little bit of orange peel "clear coat not completely smooth" on a new paint job) any clearcoat safe scratch remover and some elbow grease across the scratch will polish it out. I use "Scratch Out" by Kit... but Mothers and Meguires have good ones too. Just don't use rubbing compound or old style car polishes. They'll dull your clearcoat to a haze (which "Scratch Out" would also polish back up) but why?
Buy any scratch remover that says safe for clearcoat... and get rubbing. If It's real bad and all over you could have a shop buff it out in about 10 minutes but I bet doing it yourself & then re-waxing will work.
This is a good reason to really wax up your new vehical. A lot of people wait because new looks good... but wax keeps things from getting to the paint like birds, chemicals & scratches. Hope this helps!

#13 ·
That's all it takes. Just drop the towel on the ground once. Pick up a couple grains of sand or a little dirt... then rub. I did it once myself... to a Corvette. That taught me. If it hits the ground for even a second it gets thrown away or washed in the washer! Most hand car washes are good about this... but it only takes one mistake to ruin your day.
I used to own a couple body shops though and there is good news. As long as the scratch is in the clearcoat (which it most likely is on a new vehical... and why I'm now a big fan of polishing out the little bit of orange peel "clear coat not completely smooth" on a new paint job) any clearcoat safe scratch remover and some elbow grease across the scratch will polish it out. I use "Scratch Out" by Kit... but Mothers and Meguires have good ones too. Just don't use rubbing compound or old style car polishes. They'll dull your clearcoat to a haze (which "Scratch Out" would also polish back up) but why?
Buy any scratch remover that says safe for clearcoat... and get rubbing. If It's real bad and all over you could have a shop buff it out in about 10 minutes but I bet doing it yourself & then re-waxing will work.
This is a good reason to really wax up your new vehical. A lot of people wait because new looks good... but wax keeps things from getting to the paint like birds, chemicals & scratches. Hope this helps!
And help it did top gun! You're a very good example of why this detailing forum is needed! Most of the stuff I already knew, lol. But you have reassured me forver! Thanks!

#14 ·
Nitro owners, drying these things is a PITA, I bought an 18volt leaf blower, lite as a feather, blow the water out of those fender groves, louvers on the sides, uder the mirrors and other places, works pretty well. Also I agree Mr. Clean works well and leaves no spots.

#17 ·
top gun how about your thoughts on using a clay bar before waxing?:confused:
Sorry dan if this question was up for awhile.

Yes clay bar works great. I think it can be a little too much like work though... LoL!

I know this will sound funny to a lot of people (normal people) but I've had so many custom & show paint jobs over the last 25 years I'm really happy doing as little as possible unless there's a problem. A scratch or some other blem. I actually even like the little bit of orange peel that's in the factory paint jobs... and that's just weird!

I just hand wash my new vehicle as soon as I get it and immediately put (2) coats of Liquid Luster show car wax on... wheels and all. After that hand wash when it gets at all dirty (I am weird seems like I wash my car everytime I drive it) and re-wax once a year.

But if you need to get something off your paint or you want to smooth it out... clay bar is safe and effective.:cool:

#18 ·
Nitro owners, drying these things is a PITA, I bought an 18volt leaf blower, lite as a feather, blow the water out of those fender groves, louvers on the sides, uder the mirrors and other places, works pretty well. Also I agree Mr. Clean works well and leaves no spots.
Leaf blower... you know I never thought about that. I usually wash my car... drive it around the block to shake some of the water off. Bring it back in and shammy what's left and then do the tires... but I might try the leaf blower just to see how it works. Thanks for the idea! :D

G
#20 ·
And help it did top gun! You're a very good example of why this detailing forum is needed! Most of the stuff I already knew, lol. But you have reassured me forver! Thanks!
I also purchased "Scratch Out" by Kit, based in a large part on the "testimonials" in this thread from top gun & NitroBilly and was extremely happy with the results. I didn't have swirls so much as what looked like a shopping cart rub along both driver side doors, just above the molding. This stuff did the trick - highly recommended. Thanks again!

#21 ·
i got my scratches from another source one of those california blade drying tools it's claim is it will not scratch the paint,this thing is a paint scraper.i tried the best (meguiars scratch X) $ 7.00 a bottle,to no avail.paid $2.66 for kits scratch remover, now i'm sold for life.this stuff is the ****z nit.

#22 ·
I also purchased "Scratch Out" by Kit, based in a large part on the "testimonials" in this thread from top gun & NitroBilly and was extremely happy with the results. I didn't have swirls so much as what looked like a shopping cart rub along both driver side doors, just above the molding. This stuff did the trick - highly recommended. Thanks again!
Is "Scratch Out" by Kit available at Autozone, Advanced Auto Pep Boys or other National Chains?

I have a scratch on the tailgate of my black Nitro I have no idea of how it got there.

I tried a clay bar and polishing comound but these only reduced the scratch. IT seems to be only in the clear coat.

Ken

#23 ·
Anybody try the new Clay Ice rub I had a racoon on my hood last night that my dogs cornered and now I have **** tracks and scratches on hood it looks nasty but I rub fingernail I do not feel the scratch to bad so I think pretty superficial any tricks or ideas arggg dogs alive **** dead dad pissed LOL

#24 ·
I've had good success with the Meguire's clay bar system, but I have not tried the Ice rub version.

Sorry to hear about your **** issue. It sound like this may take more then a clay bar, but try it first. Other members have had good results with Kit Scatch-off.

Ken

#25 ·
PigSnot! If you've never used this wax, try it! It's a bike wax for Harley's and any other bike. Use it on my VTX and previously on my Harley. I've used it on my Ram and now the Nitro. It SHINES! As with all good waxes, it's only as good as you apply it. Use a buffer! No swirls, marks or streaks, just slippery painted sheetmetal. It brings metalflake paint out BIG time!

Now and then JC Whitney will have it on sale as a BOGO deal for $12. Last time they even threw in a free 2007 atlas and wheeled travel bag plus shipping. Heck of a deal. You can also find it at most Harley shops but remember that HD stands for Hundred Dollar and it's pricey there for the same product.

#26 ·
okay, guys, there are tons of useful threads out there, but since you did not search, here is a step by step that I wrote up that I use and get great results:

it will make you hurt, take ALL day but the results are gorgeous.

1. wash and dry as usual
I love mequire's so:
2. get a claybar and lub for the claybar, follow directions on product
3. follow up with the #9 swirl remover-follow directions
4. use #7 show car glaze
5. finish with mequire's gold class paste wax
6. wait 12 hours and apply another coat of wax. wax every other month this will keep the swirl marks partially filled in and they will not attract the sun and show as badly. of course you can totally remove them by using a hand buffer, but I am not into power tools and did not want to risk more harm than good. my dad said he will do it for me when it gets cooler down here.

good luck, I have done this process many times now and am satisfied w/ my results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.