Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning from Colorado,
So I'm fairly certain I've got a short in the wiring between my seatbelt and the dashboard notification light/chime. Throughout my driving, the light will flicker on and off, despite the fact that my seatbelt is always on. The worst part is the chime that goes off roughly 1 million times between home and work. Now, I've done some digging in the forums and located this thread the addresses this topic directly...

http://www.nitroforumz.com/threads/seat-belt-chime-disable.872/page-2

That seems to be the route I need to take, but I have a couple of questions.
1. Is having the chime active something that is required by law?
2. Is it correct that the process listed in the link above will disable just the chime and not the dashboard light?
3. Does disabling the chime have any effect on the air bags? I'd like to get the chime to stop, but I'm not willing to negate the safety effects of the airbags.

I think that about wraps it up. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
HI mlynch,
there could be a short in the wiring, But it is more likely to be a problem with the buckle unit possibly something traped Inside, animal hair, dirt, spilt drink, food, causing something to stick, or Under the seat where the wiring plug connects to the buckel unit, not the first time something got into the buckle unit, last time on the forum it was a ball from a BB Gun.

don't think the warning chime is required by Law, you can disconnect the seatbelt chime without any affect to the airbag system.

hope this helps a little,

Nitrogen.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Much appreciated, that answers my main questions. Hadn't even considered a foreign object causing the issue, I'll be sure to check that first. Thanks very much!

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,201 Posts
Other answer is yes. The light will remain on until the buckle is connected.
However as I mentioned in the other thread if the buckle is connected and then undone, it will chime again 5 times, then stop. So if there is a short, each time the system "thinks" the buckle is connected, then disconnected, it will chime 5 times again.
So disabling the chime my not prove to be much help in your situation.

BTW: Before doing any work on the Nitro, disconnect the Neg (-) battery cable and wait 10 minutes!
This will allow time for the airbag capacitors to discharge.
You don't want to have your airbags go off accidentally.
It has already happened to a few members here...

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'm not too worried about the dashboard light staying on, I can deal with that. It's the chiming that goes right through my head. I'm for sure going to check the wiring before I try anything else, but I had no idea about the risk of the airbags going off. (Obviously I'm not a huge gearhead, but I try to do what work I can) Is this advice for ANY type of work on the rig? Or just electrical work?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,201 Posts
Anything where you might plug or unplug a connector. On purpose or by accident.
There are so many interconnected electronics in the Nitro that you never really know what will set off the airbags. For instance, at the base of the "B" pillar where the front seat belt recoils. At the coil is a SRS charge canister (depending on your year)that fires off in a collision, locking the belt. Unplugging the plug at the coil could set off the other airbag systems.
Under the seats are weight classification modules which are also connected to the SRS system...

So as a general rule, I just do it. Better safe then sorry $$$.

Reactions: Nitrogen
1 - 6 of 6 Posts