Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all. Having an issue with my alarm. Once it arms, the siren goes of immediately. Only way to cure it is by pressing the key fob 3 more times while locking the car which turns off the ultrasonic sensors inside the car. My question is, if I permanently disconnect wiring to the sensors, will that set the alarm of in its self

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
when i bought my Nitro the rear sensor in the headliner had it's cover missing, the last owner simply pushed the sensor up into the headliner, obviously this stopped the sensor communicating with each other but everything else on the alarm still worked.
if you cover the 2 interior sensors and the alarm behaves normaly then at least you know the problem is with the sensors
if you disconnect the sensors you could make things worse as the vehicles computer will loose communication with them, and register another fault.
you could check the hood switch, it's on the hood slam panel next to the locking mechanism, if this switch is faulty the alarm will activate (if you disconnect the wire this is the same as the hood closed).
also if you have any condensation inside the vehicle, this could cause all kinds of electrical problems.

Reactions: Scar0

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try covering the sensors, not very hopeful though because there is a lot of condensation inside, which resulted in the front sensor being literally soaked. Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
if you have a sunroof then there could be a blocked drain hole, Or there could be a rusted hole under the roof rails ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No sunroof, possible roof rail hole I suppose, all seems dry in there at the minute though, and we’ve certainly had some rain in the last week. I’m still thinking condensation, as I rarely use the car, but I’ve been using it everyday for the last week, which is possibly the reason why it’s all dry in there now.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
mine gets a bit of condesation because i don't drive it very often and it sits outside on my drive all day (not for long i'm working on a new garage should be ready in the next few weeks, if it stops raining).
strange that sensor is getting soaked, it could take weeks for everything to fully dry out in this cold weather,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bit of a bonus today, alarm set correctly and stayed set for 11 hours with no issues. Hopefully it was down to condensation and now it is dried out. Fingers crossed it continues.

·
Registered
53 Posts
what might help remove some of the moisture is using the AC with the heat on max, this will use fuel so you could try it while going places. note, the windows have to be closed and most Nitros will heat you out of them if it is already warm outside. if there is a leak it is best to find and patch it correctly as you don't want more damage later
how long to run and if it truly works is unknown to me, but it is said to work. - someone on here might know if it does or if there is a better way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah that’s pretty much what I’ve been doing the last 10 days. Been using it for work while my bike was in for repair and it seems pretty dry inside now and alarm has continued to work correctly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah that’s pretty much what I’ve been doing the last 10 days. Been using it for work while my bike was in for repair and it seems pretty dry inside now and alarm has continued to work correctly.
glad it is solved for now, too cold to ride for the next few months here in Michigan just gives me time to decide what new motorcycle I will get 2019 -2021 Goldwing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
glad it is solved for now, too cold to ride for the next few months here in Michigan just gives me time to decide what new motorcycle I will get 2019 -2021 Goldwing.
A Gold wing, nice. Far too big for my commute to work and for weaving in and out of traffic, nice for a cruise out on the open road though. I’ve got a bmw 1200 gs. A good all rounder

·
Registered
53 Posts
my 1984 1200 Goldwing is nimble for a larger bike, just tired of throwing money at it and parts are getting harder to find and prices are going up. ride safe and hope your Nitro stays working well

1 - 12 of 12 Posts