Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, after reading about Nitrofire in the newbie section and how he had his Nitro RT stolen I wanted to see how the dealer security alarm is and which of you have gone aftermarket on alarms. Being where I live, Everett, WA this town has more cars stolen then any other place in the state. I want to make sure I protect this investment! Any imput would be appreiciated!

Another question, is there anything that comes with the nitro (ie MyGig) that would have GPS to track your car down? Or does something aftermarket need to be purchased?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Another question, is there anything that comes with the nitro (ie MyGig) that would have GPS to track your car down? Or does something aftermarket need to be purchased?
Chrysler does not yet have anything like GM's OnStar that can communicate with the vehicle remotely, even if it's equipped with a GPS device. You'd probably have to go aftermarket, like LoJack, to be able to track it if it's stolen. Personally, if mine were stolen I wouldn't want it back. Give me a new one that hasn't been abused please.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Lojack is great. They have a 30 minute recovery time on the Kitsap Peninsula. They also installed lojack monitors on each side of the Juan de Fuca Straits so if someone steals anything with lojack installed, puts it on a ship to export out of the country the coast guard has permission to stop the ship and investigate, always recovering the vehicle.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lojack is great. They have a 30 minute recovery time on the Kitsap Peninsula. They also installed lojack monitors on each side of the Juan de Fuca Straits so if someone steals anything with lojack installed, puts it on a ship to export out of the country the coast guard has permission to stop the ship and investigate, always recovering the vehicle.
Thank you my friend. I will have to check that out!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Need to Add Shock Sensor to Factory Alarm

From what I can tell from all the documentation I've read on the factory alarm system, it only interrupts the starter and also triggers the alarm when a door is opened. It really needs a shock sensor of some sort that will trigger the alarm if the glass is broken...especially if you have any valuables inside that could be snatched.

My last 2 vehicles I went with an aftermarket system so I could customize the features...however, I ordered my Nitro with the factory alarm since there is not much word on aftermarket compatibility at this time.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Don't all the Nitros come with the Key Sentry system too? My dealer told me it shuts the engine down after a few seconds if the car is started without using an authorized key.

Of course, a thief could use a tow truck to get around that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys, I just installed the Nitro alarm system I purchased from a dealer. Pretty easy install with GREAT instructions. There's about 6 wires to be connected and the install instructions show you exactly where to connect them by using pictures of the actual wiring on a Nitro. The system does have a shock sensor and it's set at "Lite Touch" by default.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey everyone, after reading about Nitrofire in the newbie section and how he had his Nitro RT stolen I wanted to see how the dealer security alarm is and which of you have gone aftermarket on alarms. Being where I live, Everett, WA this town has more cars stolen then any other place in the state. I want to make sure I protect this investment! Any imput would be appreiciated!

The best thing you could do is to outfit your rig with Lo-Jack and your worries are over.

·
Registered
790 Posts
And AirJunky...Great question! I would love it if the Nitro has that feature...try living in Everett!
HEhe, yea, I'll pass. I have a couple of buddies who live there & hear the stories.

I think the easiest way to tell if you have the Key Sentry option (besides looking on your window sticker) is if you have the keys with the remote in them. I do, and the manual has a chapter about programming new keys.

Obviously, if the guys load the Nitro in a truck & then part it out, this feature doesn't do squat for the owner.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i just rolled off the showroom floor and have the keys with remote start and all that. is that the sentry system and will the engine cut off. i am worried sick, because this car sticks out in a crowd. :)

·
Registered
790 Posts
i just rolled off the showroom floor and have the keys with remote start and all that. is that the sentry system and will the engine cut off. i am worried sick, because this car sticks out in a crowd. :)
Sounds like you better check your window sticker. Mine has the Key Sentry Theft Deterent system & the big part of the key is the lock remote & panic button. I have no idea if the Nitro is available any other way.
If your in the same area as that other guy, this system might not do you any good anyway. Car thieves rarely use flatbed trucks to haul off their booty around here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.