Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car will turn on but the shift gear will get stuck. I opened the thing and theres a pink release that I have to move in order to move from Parking to Reverse, Drive, etc.
I know this is a Dodge problem :shake head: but haven't found anything on the nitro. Please help ??

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I haven't heard much with this on the Nitro but I know the Magnum's and Charger's are known to have this problem! But it seams to be the same shifter in all these Dodge's

·
Premium Member
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
This is the first post I remember on this particular issue. It has to do with the Brake/Transmission Interlock system.
Do your brake lights work? The reason I ask is the brake pedal has to be depressed in order for you to be able to shift out of park. The brake light switch sends a signal to unlock the shift lock mechanism.
Figured I would start on the easy side of things.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
899 Posts
Hey there for what its worth, had the same problem on both my old explorers on those it was caused by a cable stretching which ran from a solenoid which was triggered by the brake pedal to the release mechanism. I managed to shorten those cables and problem gone.
Dont know if Nitro is the same and also mines a manual but hope you get an answer soon:smileup::smileup:

·
Registered
59 Posts
My 2008 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (work vehicle) will do this from time to time and it is as simple as no brake lights.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my brake lights work and I can hear the signal (a click) go to the shifter but it won't work, I have been using the nitro by manually pushing the pink plastic back the way it should in order to change gears. The avengers had a poor constructed hook that would brake but I'm pretty sure the nitro was constructed a little better. I want to post pictures but I do not know how to delete my last posts in order for me to have permission/storage space on this forum

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
You only have 1 Pic in the forum Gallery.
Upload them there, then post them.

The issues for the Charger/Magnum/300 were 08- years.
http://www.chrysler.com/webselfservice/pdf/K39.pdf
Since you have an SXT, I assume yours is in that range. Sounds like you may need a new "pink thingy".

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
my dealer said since the nitro does not have a recall for that piece they would charge me just to check it out. I am going to remove the shift gear myself and if its the same size as the magnum I will probably replace it with the metal piece. http://www.custombilletstore.com/product_p/1028.htm
That is one of the biggest complaints of the Charger/Magnum/300 guys.
The recall was specific to only a few VIN#, but lots of folks outside the VIN range are having the same issue.

A word of advice, Disconnect the Neg(-) battery cable and wait 10 minutes before you start work.
There is a SRS airbag module located under the center console, right behind the shifter. You don't want your airbags to pop off on you by accident.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The problem with the car was the pink plastic piece there is a small spring that broke
the dealer sells the entire shift gear for 100 plus
I decided to re-hook the broken spring and works now but had to open the entire radio piece and disconnected the (-) battery to make sure the airbag wouldn't pop off as Scar0 suggested

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
Thanks for getting back to us on the cause. :rep:
Time to get the metal billet one and do a swap...
There are several how-tos posted on the net, but it already sounds like you know what it will take to do the job.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2007 dodge nitro slt. My nitro is having shifting problems. It gets struck, but when I can get it to shift gears the dashboard shows different than the shifter position, for example, the shifter says I'm in neutral but the dashboard says I'm in drive. 98% of the time my shifter doesn't move. To start my nitro I have to pull off the little plastic piece near the shifter and use a key or something to push the button or whatever is in there. Doesn't always work.
I realize it may sound confusing or complicated but does anyone know if any of the above suggestions would help, or have any other ideas. I refuse to get rid of my nitro, I love it and it's got me and my boys through tough times, like traveling through 2 feet of snow, hiking, outdoor theaters, camping, it got us anywhere and everywhere, never really had any issues other than breaks and the norm. We were homeless for a year and a half and our nitro stood strong. I've had it for many years. My 13 year old is adamant that the nitro will be his first car.
So if anyone can help it would mean so much.
Thank you
Sorry for rant

·
Registered
2007 R/T
475 Posts
Oh man, sounds like you may need a new shifter. Which, aren't available except in junk yards.

You need to make sure it's the EXACT year/model since they've made changes.

Or at least take the console apart and inspect it some more and see if you have a broken spring as aforementioned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2007 dodge nitro slt. My nitro is having shifting problems. It gets struck, but when I can get it to shift gears the dashboard shows different than the shifter position, for example, the shifter says I'm in neutral but the dashboard says I'm in drive. 98% of the time my shifter doesn't move. To start my nitro I have to pull off the little plastic piece near the shifter and use a key or something to push the button or whatever is in there. Doesn't always work.
I realize it may sound confusing or complicated but does anyone know if any of the above suggestions would help, or have any other ideas. I refuse to get rid of my nitro, I love it and it's got me and my boys through tough times, like traveling through 2 feet of snow, hiking, outdoor theaters, camping, it got us anywhere and everywhere, never really had any issues other than breaks and the norm. We were homeless for a year and a half and our nitro stood strong. I've had it for many years. My 13 year old is adamant that the nitro will be his first car.
So if anyone can help it would mean so much.
Thank you
Sorry for rant
Have the same issue since yesterday but my BIL helped me tow it home about 2 miles from where it got stuck. The dash says it's in neutral while the gear shift is locked in park. BIL is letting me use a loaner vehicle and I'm going to disassemble the console today. I couldn't find a youtube video specific for a Nitro (several for other Dodges) but did see a couple helpful videos and hoping it's just the spring/pink piece to repair. Did you get your own issue resolved?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have the same issue since yesterday but my BIL helped me tow it home about 2 miles from where it got stuck. The dash says it's in neutral while the gear shift is locked in park. BIL is letting me use a loaner vehicle and I'm going to disassemble the console today. I couldn't find a youtube video specific for a Nitro (several for other Dodges) but did see a couple helpful videos and hoping it's just the spring/pink piece to repair. Did you get your own issue resolved?
Well after pulling out the shifter assembly I could see nothing wrong in there. (BTW there's a small access port to the lever inside opposite the D selection at the shifter.) It's a one-piece unit, unlike several other Dodge videos that show a two-piece unit where the top shell comes off. Looked under at the linkage connecting to the shift lever on the transmission and found the connecters slightly separated. Some yahoo before me apparently used zip ties to hold the connecters together. So I'll crawl back under there to see if the cable needs to be replaced or possibly just reconnected.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts