Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My headlight housings are starting to get a bit foggy, and I also think it's time to upgrade the look. I do like the look of the halos, but I'm also wondering if there are any worthy LED headlight bulbs that would work better, with the regular housing, and maybe adding like an LED switchback, or amber, turn signal.

If I do go with the halos, I was wondering how you guys were hooking them up, and if there were different versions. Like I see some listed as DRL, and others that aren't. Which leads to the question, do the actual halos get hooked up as DRLs, and stay on always while the vehicle is running, or do you wire them to only come on with parking lights, and headlights?

I see that the currently available halos come with an H7 low beam bulb, and an H1 high beam. I'm guessing that these standard halogen lights would come out pretty yellow looking. I would probably want to upgrade to a whiter light, or an LED, if anyone has found one to work with these halo housings.

So, any suggestions, or recommendations, are welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm also considering upgrading my headlight housings. In the meantime, however, I found that the 3M headlight restoration kit worked great. In under an hour they were crystal clear again.
I've done the 3M route on headlights from other cars of this era. Just make sure you apply the sealer, otherwise they'll be cloudy in 6 months. I wanted the black out look, so I never considered the polishing option. I also ordered the Lamin-x kit for the headlights, so hopefully they'll stay nice a little longer.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going through the same decision process and decided on the black regular headlights and LED bulbs. I am not sold on the Halo look, but you may feel differently.
I don't particularly love the look of the halos, but I did want to get a headlight assembly with the black insides, to update the look of the Nitro. I thought the black halos would help in updating the look, but those are almost dated already.

If I knew of some LED headlight bulbs that would work trouble free, last a decent while (years), and not blind other drivers/get me pulled over, I would probably save some money on the housings, and go with the standard black. Then it would be nice to figure out a trouble free LED turn signal too.

I mean, do you over spend, and get some nice Morimotos, and hope they last a long time, or do you roll the dice and get some Amazon/Ebay specials??

What LED bulbs did you go with? Do you plan on using LED turn signals? Switchbacks?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I went with the Morimotos. I’ve tried other brands and the Amazon stuff. They’ve all failed after a few months. I went with standard Philips LED bulbs for all the other exterior lights - just the standard stuff from the FLAPS.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went with the Morimotos. I’ve tried other brands and the Amazon stuff. They’ve all failed after a few months. I went with standard Philips LED bulbs for all the other exterior lights - just the standard stuff from the FLAPS.
Did you get the ones that I linked, called the 2Stroke 3.0? Do you know if they require the optional PWM "anti-flicker" module, or any of the optional "housing cap extensions"?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did you get the ones that I linked, called the 2Stroke 3.0? Do you know if they require the optional PWM "anti-flicker" module, or any of the optional "housing cap extensions"?
I think they're the same ones, but I got them directly from Morimoto - https://www.morimotohid.com/9005-Yellow-Morimoto-2Stroke-3-0-LED-Bulbs-Morimoto?quantity=1

I did not get the anti-flicker module or any housing cap extension. I'm hoping they're just plug-and-play, since the housings are basically drop ins that use the factory bulbs, rather than two different bulbs.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think they're the same ones, but I got them directly from Morimoto - Shopping

I did not get the anti-flicker module or any housing cap extension. I'm hoping they're just plug-and-play, since the housings are basically drop ins that use the factory bulbs, rather than two different bulbs.
Can you post pics when you get your headlight assemblies installed? I can seem to find very many good pics of the non-halo blacked out housings. The pics I've seen, just seem to make the housings look dark, which would be good with me. I just don't want to be able to see too much chrome in there.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've done the 3M route on headlights from other cars of this era. Just make sure you apply the sealer, otherwise they'll be cloudy in 6 months. I wanted the black out look, so I never considered the polishing option. I also ordered the Lamin-x kit for the headlights, so hopefully they'll stay nice a little longer.
I did a couple coats of Meguiar's G17804 clear headlight coating immediately after, which claims to last a year. We'll see how long they last before I need to do it again. It wasn't a difficult process--the hardest part was just taping everything initially, so if I had to redo it even as often as yearly it wouldn't be too horrible. If the clear coat itself lasts a year, just reapplying that will be super easy to keep them maintained.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts