Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My next adventure was to try and add actual metal mesh to the grill work for the side panels along the front fender.

So to remove there are 2 push pins on the top under the hood. with a small screwdriver remove the center cap and pull all the way out. Then remove the rest of the pin.

Now you can remove by pulling straight out from the front fender. There are 3 clips holding it in place

Now I thought I was ready to cut out plastic and add the mesh behind the chrome rails. But then there is no way to easily re-attach the panel.

I did take off one of the chrome rails, it was heat staked in place.

So for now I re-heat stake the rail back on and will draft up a different plan:thk: and see how that goes. Any Ideas welcome.

I will also post some other pictures in the gallery.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
JH

Instead of cutting out the entire piece you thought you could why not cut out the sections that are visible between the chrome rails? That would leave you a way to keep the rails intact and you could sandwich your mesh in-between the rails and the remaining plastic where the rails are staked.:thk:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NitroLarry,

good idea but it will be some tricky cutting, filing, grinding because the clip towers (plastic) that the metal clips go on are a bit wider than the chrome strip. Also I am afraid it would be too flimsy and may crack and break while driving. I might still give it a try (next weekend project).

Thanks for the idea:)

·
Registered
145 Posts
I talked with casey from CGS motorsports this is what he said they did for that mod above:

"We removed the side vents and melted the back side of the chrome bars to remove the them so that we could cut the center part and smooth the plastic before we painted it to match. Next we cut some wire mesh and screwed it to the body side before installing the plastic vent back on the car.
That's it."

any questions?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well just to clarify that was my first idea but if you cut out the center there are no attachment features on the side to hold it in place. This could be ok for a show vehicle but I need to drive daily in this lovely canadain weather(Snowed today):shakehead:

I figure it would catch to much wind. I will contact casey and see what he says about that. Thanks for the info.....maybe some rep points in it still:rolleyes:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
New Work being Done

So I have almost completed adding an actual grill or mesh to my side vent. I will give all the details soon but I wanted to get some opinions before I give all the secrets. Still needs some minor tweaking as the fit is not just right.

I am showing a few pics for now and will upload more later

In process of putting it all together

On the Nitro (bit Blurry):shy:

Another view of it on the Nitro and I am ashamed that I havent Cleaned it today but roads are a mess with the snow we have had. And I was driving around with out the vent.(had errands to do for the Family:i_rolleyes: )

Let me know what you think but dont be too hard on me as this has taken all day and I may not be able to take the pain:shakehead: ..LOL no worries

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Looks Great!!!!!! Very cool looking on the vehicle. Are you gonna carry that style of mesh to the front grille?

Don't apologize for the dirty vehicle. Sometimes I'm not to sure what I welcome more warmer weather/dirty vehicle or 30 below/clean vehicle. :)

1 - 20 of 127 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.