Dodge Nitro Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
I need radiator skids. I'm feeling fortunate that I have a $500 deductible, because the last time I went off road I put a hole in my A/C condenser and bent the hose attachment points on my radiator.

Anyone have any suggestions? I really like the 4XGuard one, but I am doubtful that it can be made to fit.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I now have installed the KK belly skids, in addition to the custom radiator skid from ATH. I'd say that, if you're serious about wheeling in your Nitro, this mod is essential.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I wanted to add, these parts also work on the 2007 Nitro R/T. However, the Front Skid Plate does cover the Oil Filter to the point you will need to remove it to change the oil. Not sure about the oil drain plug, didn't look too closely.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I wanted to add, these parts also work on the 2007 Nitro R/T. However, the Front Skid Plate does cover the Oil Filter to the point you will need to remove it to change the oil. Not sure about the oil drain plug, didn't look too closely.
I enjoyed your photos in the media section. They are excellent guide for those considering adding skids. Would you consider posting them on this thread?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
147 Posts
I now have installed the KK belly skids, in addition to the custom radiator skid from ATH. I'd say that, if you're serious about wheeling in your Nitro, this mod is essential.
You have any pictures?

I would use the "This thread is useless without images" if image was listed, or I knew what the code for it is. lol

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,228 Posts
I would use the "This thread is useless without images" if image was listed, or I knew what the code for it is. lol
The :worthless: code does not work on the new forum format.
But here you go.
worthless1.gif

SEG.gif

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
247 Posts
Reactions: Nitrogen and Scar0

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just a heads up. I installed these in my driveway with basic hand tools with the stock height nitro on the ground. nutserts went in perfectly, and the plates fit with zero issues. Im also not the smallest person @ 6'2" 260lbs. I was still able to get them in. thanks guys for all the things and ideas to spend my money on.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Installing these tomorrow. thank you for this guide. Do you know if the gas tank skid fits the Nitro?
Do you have a part number for the gas tank skid plate?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I DID IT!!!! I finally got my skid plates. I can now with 100% certainty confirm that the Jeep Liberty skid plates do fit the Nitro, and I am providing the pictures to prove it. First off let me start off with part numbers:

82210769: Front Suspension- My Cost $96.05
82210003: Transmission- My Cost $61.25
82210937: Transfer Case- My Cost $61.25

I ordered them from the local Dodge dealership. When they arrived they came with instructions and mounting hardware zip-tied onto the plates. The installation is pretty straightforward, although I did run into a few typical speed bumps: I will cover these in a moment.

First thing that you need to to to install them is to mount the Transmission skid plate. To mount it on the frame in the rear, you must first add the piece that contains the threads. There is just a hole cut into the frame and it needs to have a piece pressed into it in order to thread in the bolt. Sorry, I did not get a picture of the piece, but I will show you how to install it, as it took me a minute.

The silver metal is the piece that contains the threads. The black bolt and nut is what will press the silver piece into the frame. To do this, thread the black bolt into the silver threads until it is snug up against the nut. Then, hold the nut with a wrench, and proceed to tighten the bolt. As you tighten it, it will expand in the hole in the frame. When it is tight, torque it to 30 ft/lbs. Then, remove the black bolt and the threads will remain in the frame. Be sure to hold onto the nut/spacer in the middle so everything tightens down properly. There are a total of 6 of these threads to install. (4 in the cross bar in the middle and two in the frame on the drivers side of the car by the transfer case). Once these are installed, it is a simple matter of bolting the skid plates into position.

When bolting the skid plates on, it is extremely important that you follow this order!

First, put the transmission skid plate (longest of the three) into position. There are two pieces that stick out of the front that will slide into two holes that are cut into the cross bar that is in the front. This will assist you in holding it into position while you slide in the rear. You can start by raising it up into the front and loosely securing it with the bolts, and then do the same in the rear. Do not tighten the bolts yet as the front suspension skid plate must slide onto the same bolts below the transmission skid.
Slide the front skid into position, and place the two front bolts loosely into position. Make sure everything is all lined up, and begin tightening the bolt. Once they are snug, torque them to 45 ft/lbs.
Finally, raise the transfer case skid into position, and bolt it into the four holes where you pressed the threads in. Congratulations! You now have skid plates!!!
Now, here's some pictures!:D

Front suspension skid, covers front differential and some of the steering components. Still has a hole for that awful drain channel for the oil filter that is bolted onto the front diff.

Next up is the Transmission skid. It too, has a hole in it allowing for easy access to the oil pan drain plug.

Finally we have the transfer case skid.

Total time was about 2 hours including the time it took to unbolt the front skid once I realized that the tranny one used the same bolts:loser1:
I will give updates once I field test them:Racing:
If you haven't gotten started with your skid plates project, you need to get moving. Ordered mine this week at my local Dodge/Jeep dealer. The parts guy said the transfercase plate is out of production and found one at a local jobber. There may not be many left out there if you want OEM

·
Registered
7 Posts
I DID IT!!!! I finally got my skid plates. I can now with 100% certainty confirm that the Jeep Liberty skid plates do fit the Nitro, and I am providing the pictures to prove it. First off let me start off with part numbers:

82210769: Front Suspension- My Cost $96.05
82210003: Transmission- My Cost $61.25
82210937: Transfer Case- My Cost $61.25

I ordered them from the local Dodge dealership. When they arrived they came with instructions and mounting hardware zip-tied onto the plates. The installation is pretty straightforward, although I did run into a few typical speed bumps: I will cover these in a moment.

First thing that you need to to to install them is to mount the Transmission skid plate. To mount it on the frame in the rear, you must first add the piece that contains the threads. There is just a hole cut into the frame and it needs to have a piece pressed into it in order to thread in the bolt. Sorry, I did not get a picture of the piece, but I will show you how to install it, as it took me a minute.

The silver metal is the piece that contains the threads. The black bolt and nut is what will press the silver piece into the frame. To do this, thread the black bolt into the silver threads until it is snug up against the nut. Then, hold the nut with a wrench, and proceed to tighten the bolt. As you tighten it, it will expand in the hole in the frame. When it is tight, torque it to 30 ft/lbs. Then, remove the black bolt and the threads will remain in the frame. Be sure to hold onto the nut/spacer in the middle so everything tightens down properly. There are a total of 6 of these threads to install. (4 in the cross bar in the middle and two in the frame on the drivers side of the car by the transfer case). Once these are installed, it is a simple matter of bolting the skid plates into position.

When bolting the skid plates on, it is extremely important that you follow this order!

First, put the transmission skid plate (longest of the three) into position. There are two pieces that stick out of the front that will slide into two holes that are cut into the cross bar that is in the front. This will assist you in holding it into position while you slide in the rear. You can start by raising it up into the front and loosely securing it with the bolts, and then do the same in the rear. Do not tighten the bolts yet as the front suspension skid plate must slide onto the same bolts below the transmission skid.
Slide the front skid into position, and place the two front bolts loosely into position. Make sure everything is all lined up, and begin tightening the bolt. Once they are snug, torque them to 45 ft/lbs.
Finally, raise the transfer case skid into position, and bolt it into the four holes where you pressed the threads in. Congratulations! You now have skid plates!!!
Now, here's some pictures!:D

Front suspension skid, covers front differential and some of the steering components. Still has a hole for that awful drain channel for the oil filter that is bolted onto the front diff.

Next up is the Transmission skid. It too, has a hole in it allowing for easy access to the oil pan drain plug.

Finally we have the transfer case skid.

Total time was about 2 hours including the time it took to unbolt the front skid once I realized that the tranny one used the same bolts:loser1:
I will give updates once I field test them:Racing:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I rented a stall at a DIY auto repair , doing this with a hoist is a lot better than laying on you back in the driveway. I ran into 2 problems.A. Tools at garage are pretty warn out. Should have brought some of mine. Ratchets and torque wrenches were iffy.(skinned knuckles) B. Opened all 3 boxes of hardware and loaded the on the shop tray. Turns out about 1/2 the bolts were 14mm heads, the other half were 15mm. All were the same length and thread. Very frustrating to have to change sockets when trying for final torquing.

·
Premium Member
2011 Nitro Heat 3.7 4wd
153 Posts
I am not 100% sure on this, but I believe that the part number for all years of the Jeep Liberty is the same for the engine (front suspension) and transmission skid plates. The only one that is different is the transfer case skid. I am basing that off of this website Jeep Liberty Skid Plates #LibertySkidPlates-ship because on here there is only one part number listed for the transmission and suspension skid plates.
When I ordered them from the dealership, I told them I wanted them for the 2008 Jeep Liberty 4X4. The only reason I am saying that the tranny and suspension ones are likely the same on the older style Jeeps is because if you ever found one at a junk yard somewhere, you might be able to acquire the skid plates much cheaper there.
I love it. Nice job my friend something. I'm definitely going to do. Here's a question. Do those come stock on the Jeep libertys? Or is it an aftermarket thing? I can go to the junkyard and take one off in a heartbeat if that's the case. Thanks, brother. Fantastic job on the post. This is an upgrade that is detrimental to off-roading.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,228 Posts
To my knowlege only the Euro Nitro came stock with skids(engine/trany). Jeep Libby 08+, Skids were offered as an option in the US. Not sure of Euro versions.
So only way to fine out is to dive under a few 08+ Libbys in the J-yard till you find one.

·
Premium Member
2011 Nitro Heat 3.7 4wd
153 Posts
To my knowlege only the Euro Nitro came stock with skids(engine/trany). Jeep Libby 08+, Skids were offered as an option in the US. Not sure of Euro versions.
So only way to fine out is to dive under a few 08+ Libbys in the J-yard till you find one.
I love this forum thank you so much for your help on everything

·
Registered
134 Posts
After a very long wait on ordered parts yesterday some goodies arrived. Today I installed the Liberty skid plates. It was an easy job. Most difficult was to put in the threaded bushings. But here some pictures when almost all installed. I only have to add two extra thread bushing because there were just 4 of 6 delivered.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts