Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have recently purchased a 2007 Dodge Nitro 3.7 SXT with 133700 miles on the clock. After 2 days of just enjoying my Dodge, the dreaded check engine light came on, turns out its a small evap leak. Although only a minor issue, it’s still very annoying. So straight away I replaced the gas cap hoping for a quick fix but sadly the light is still on. I found an old thread on here with regards to replacing parts to resolve this issue but wanted to start a new thread in case anyone can please help with information on roughly how much these parts cost? is it an easy fix? or is it quite a few hours of labor if i took it to a mechanic in a shop?
Any help much appreciated!
White Black Human Font Style

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same problem a while back but was able to figure out what was going on. When i got my nitro it had no gas cap so bought one at autozone put it on and still had the check engine light. So i noticed that if the cap clicks when youre putting it on its not on properly, its gotta be tight and make sure it doesnt click.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the same problem a while back but was able to figure out what was going on. When i got my nitro it had no gas cap so bought one at autozone put it on and still had the check engine light. So i noticed that if the cap clicks when youre putting it on its not on properly, its gotta be tight and make sure it doesnt click.
Thanks for your reply, I will try that in the morning and hope that it works! I’m hoping it does as I did check under the hood where some of the hoses are that I’d seen on som old videos that sometimes cause a leak and they look as new, possible already been replaced by a previous owner. Hoping your top tip works and really hoping that I can have some trouble free driving for a while before my wife says ‘I told you so’ about American cars 🤣

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok great, do you think it’s worth running a smoke test on it? PepBoys said they would do that to check for leaks. Just looking for a quick but lowest cost option. Was the purge valve replacement a fairly easy job?

·
Registered
2007 R/T
473 Posts
Takes about 5 minutes to change it near the battery.

The connector, you need some pliers to squeeze it to get the purge valve off the hose. Don't force it off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just picked up my Nitro from the dealer for the recall and the check engine light has gone! I wonder if replacing the gas cap did help but the light just stayed on? I will keep your info in mind for the future tho just in case, thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have an update
Hi Monica, so this morning I filled up with gas and no check engine light came on since it went off after visiting the Dodge dealer for the airbag emblem recall. However, this morning was very interesting as my locks kept locking and unlocking throughout my journey to work, also on route the tire pressure monitor warning light popped up and flashed for a while then disappeared

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi guys, I have recently purchased a 2007 Dodge Nitro 3.7 SXT with 133700 miles on the clock. After 2 days of just enjoying my Dodge, the dreaded check engine light came on, turns out its a small evap leak. Although only a minor issue, it’s still very annoying. So straight away I replaced the gas cap hoping for a quick fix but sadly the light is still on. I found an old thread on here with regards to replacing parts to resolve this issue but wanted to start a new thread in case anyone can please help with information on roughly how much these parts cost? is it an easy fix? or is it quite a few hours of labor if i took it to a mechanic in a shop?
Any help much appreciated!
View attachment 40320
Could be your converter had my checked that's what it was

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since I replaced the gas cap and the light went out after I took it to the Dodge dealership for the emblem/airbag recall it’s been totally fine which is good. Hopefully will stay that way

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ok great, do you think it’s worth running a smoke test on it? PepBoys said they would do that to check for leaks. Just looking for a quick but lowest cost option. Was the purge valve replacement a fairly easy job?
A smoke test will very rarely find a small leak. Better to use a soap and water solution at all the fittings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts