Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got a spare key for my 07 Nitro. Now I have 3 working keys!
I was a little leery since the key I bought was a cheap $12 e-bay one from China(free shipping).
It took a while to get it, 11 days, but I was in no hurry...
After paying $5 to get it cut, I was able to program it to work in my Nitro on the first try using the instructions in the owners manual. I never got the final "ding", but it works just fine. :cool:
I was very pleased to say the least. New key for under $20. :D

Oh, I also forgot to mention the key was advertised for a 06-08 RAM P-U. I did a lot of research and figured I had a 70/30% of it working in the Nitro. For $12 it was worth the risk. Glad I took it.

I also got 2 for my father-in-laws 08 RAM. Which is why I originally went looking for keys. Those are not cut or programmed yet. Hopefully all will go well with those also. If not, we are only out $24.:eek:

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is the problem with my father-in-laws RAM. Only one key... We are off tomorrow to try to get the new ones cut and programmed.

·
I work so I can... SQUIRREL!
2,683 Posts
Good deal, Scar! :D

I got lucky with my Nitro. Two factory cut keys, and an uncut spare key came with it. All remote control keys.

·
Registered
69 Posts
When I purchased my Nitro, the guys at the dealer said they only had one. Whatever not the end of the world. Less than two weeks later they called me back and said they found the second, with the remote start fob as well. I was more than a little peeved as the dealer I purchased it from was almost 2 hours away. Luckily my parents were going to be driving by it that weekend so they stopped and picked it up. Stupid dealer! On a side note, does anyone know what battery the key fob uses? One of mine the battery is about to fail.

·
Registered
41 Posts
When I purchased my Nitro, the guys at the dealer said they only had one. Whatever not the end of the world. Less than two weeks later they called me back and said they found the second, with the remote start fob as well. I was more than a little peeved as the dealer I purchased it from was almost 2 hours away. Luckily my parents were going to be driving by it that weekend so they stopped and picked it up. Stupid dealer! On a side note, does anyone know what battery the key fob uses? One of mine the battery is about to fail.
Uses CR2032

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Way great news. We had to go to a different lock smith with my father-in-laws RAM. Only because we were running other errands in that direction...
It cost $5 each to cut the keys. Then he grabbed his scan tool and programmed both into the system. Out the door in 20 minutes and for only $65.
Total cost for his 2 keys was only $89! Now he has 3 working keys. :cool:
Sure beats the heck out of a dealers price! :eek:

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice. I just got it done for 110 to cut and program one key. That was the lowest quote around here.
Ouch! Should have gone for a drive up north!
But cost of fuel would have negated the savings... LOL

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
123 Posts
Apparently in the UK the ability to program your own keys has been turned off

Had two original keys but one wasn't working. Dealer charged me £300 or $400 Luckily had my keys insured so *lost a set *

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Apparently in the UK the ability to program your own keys has been turned off

Had two original keys but one wasn't working. Dealer charged me £300 or $400 Luckily had my keys insured so *lost a set *
Nice move lee.

Reactions: lee

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
32 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.