Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try installing a split boot to avoid all the axle removal work? Mine has a hole in it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Never tried the split boot. I have used black rtv gasket maker to seal one. Worked fine. It was a tiny pin hole though. If I were to try it I would try it over the original boot IMO.... with the split on opposite side of the tear. And try to seal it at the split with the RTV or something similar. Honestly though I’d call this a temporary fix. When I got the time and the itch I’d jus replace the cv. That is just my opinion. It isn’t a terribly hard job, assuming the half shaft doesn’t pull the intermediate shaft out with it like I had happen when I swapped both of mine. Even still not terrible. Just a few basic tools can get it done. If u are not lifted it’d be even easier. Either way u have no idea how much cv grease you’ve lost.... or how much grit and grime has got in. If u do it I’d shoot some new grease in at the least

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
i fitted one a couple of months ago on my wife car,

Don't Do It,
it is very hard to glue, i did manage to glue it, and was very happy, BUT after 2 weeks the glue cracked and greese started leaking, i Don't think it was an error on my part, the glue is like super glue (but black) and it Simply has no flexability,

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would replace the boot. Its simple enough to do. Remove caliper, disc, shaft nut, tie rod end, upper ball joint, clevis, stabilizer end link and disconnect abs sensor connector. I just replaced all 4 boots.

·
Registered
553 Posts
If they r worn or close nows the time to jus swap em....... only one more step...if u need replace them later you’ll do it all twice. Will take just as long if not longer to do the boots

1 - 6 of 6 Posts