Squealing/squeaking/some Grinding

Discussion in 'Dodge Nitro Mechanical Problems and Questions' started by Genea, May 13, 2018.

1. Genea

Genea New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Dodge nitro 4L 6cyl
    Trim:
    R/T
    Color:
    Deep Water Blue
    I hope someone can help me. the front end of my nitro( sounds like drivers side, has been making these noises ( as stated in title) now for a few weeks. got the brakes checked - no issues / got the shocks checked - again, no issues
    i was told that it might be the axle or bearings, does that make sense. i hope that someone can help me because it is driving me crazy and the lack of help i get around my house is incredible ( and obviously i dont know a whole lot about vehicles :( ) have to for now drive tiny piece of , whatever to get to work which leaves us without emerg. vehicle. has anyone had these problems?

its a 2008 nitro rt 4.0L 6 cyl.

2. Scar0

Scar0 Khaki Nitro Nut Moderator Member Relations NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    Is your rig a 4x4?
    If so, look under the drivers side tire at the CV joint from the front drive line to the transfer case. It may be hard to see because it is above a cross member.
    Look at the rubber boot covering the CV. It should look like this.
    [​IMG]

Not like this.
    [​IMG]

If that is OK, spray some water on the front brakes. Make them thoroughly wet if you can. Inside and outside. Then immediately take it for a short drive. Use caution here because your rig will not stop as fast as normal till the water evaporates.
    What this little test may show is whether the the noise is coming from the pads and other related parts.
    It may show nothing...

Next, jack up the front and rotate one tire by hand to see if you can hear it. If you can, that will make it easier to pinpoint.
    The front hubs are a sealed unit with roller bearings. So they won't wobble like the old rigs with ball bearings when they go out. That is until the rollers are totally shot.

Metaldog likes this.