Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 SLT Premium 3.7 4x4 Owned since new. All maintenance followed. Changed plugs using OEM at 100K miles. Flushed radiator 2 weeks ago.Transmission replaced at 128,000 miles. Now has 130k miles.

I was driving at 50 mph. Had been driving for 1 hour. Temperature normal. Altitude 5000 feet. Engine stalled with no warning and all dash lights illuminated. Battery fine. Will not restart. Towed home and still no start. Nothing. Tried other key and nothing. When I try to start all the dash lights come on as normal but turning to the start position nothing happens.
I have only experienced the dreaded shut off once and that time was at about 6 months old and 6k miles. restarted instantly and never a problem since. About 500 miles ago when starting the starter "hung up" ?? I turned key to off and re-started normally.

Before I take it to dealer any suggestions? Should I try a TIPM hard re-set?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,463 Posts
There is a TSB for stalling back in 07. Was that done to your rig?

How is the battery, batery posts and related cables/connections?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Thanks for responding. Never done. Battery is 3 months old, posts are clean, all connections free of corrosion.

Checked all fuses today and number M37 fuel pump is blown. I replaced that fuse and it blew again when I turned the ignition on. So maybe the fuel pump died.

What seems odd it that the starter will not engage. Even if the fuel pump is dead wouldn't it still crank?

I have a mechanic coming today with a scanner to check for codes.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,463 Posts
Yes the starter should work even without fuel.
Double check the battery is fully charged. The Nitro does some strange things when the voltage is low.
The blown fuse is concerning. It would indicate a short somewhere. But where is the question? lol
If the short is internal to the TIPM that may also explain the no crank.
Code #s would help a lot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem occurred at highway speed so the generator was furnishing the power. The battery is showing 12 volts so fully charged. The scanner showed no codes. I replaced the fuse and tried again. Same results blew fuse.

I am thinking that the fuel pump might have frozen and shorted out. The M37 fuse shows quite a few items connected.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,463 Posts
Hum, found some conflicting info in the service manual and owners manual.
M37 in the owner manual says Anti-lock brake system (abs), Electronic stability program (esp), Stop lamp switch (stp lp sw), Fuel pump rly hi control.
The service manual does not show the fuel pump as part of the M37 (gas Nitro) schematic. It shows only the M25 fuse.
The owners manual also says M25 = Fuel Pump (FUEL PUMP), Diesel Lift Pump (DSL LIFT PUMP) — Export Only
For M37 the service manual shows ABS, Stop lamp, and Stop lamp relay.
Try replacing the fuse, step on the brake pedal and then see if it is popped.
If not, try turning the key to run(do not try to start), then off and again check if it is popped.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,463 Posts
I double checked in my 07 hard copy manuals, and they say the same as the 08 service manual. Fuse M25 is the fuel pump.
Oh and BTW the generator alone will not keep the Nitro running. Unlike old school rigs, Both the battery cables have to be connected to keep the Nitro going.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Fuel pump not working still doesnt explain no action at the starter. With no fuel pump the starter in thoery would just keep turning over. I would check all the connections and if power is going to the starter....( doesnt explain fuse blowing). Makes you wonder if as Scar said if its a TIPM issue. That could explain blown fuse and no starter..... something possibly affecting both systems

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got it back from Dodge. They replaced the TIPM and it's running fine. (Believe it or not they had to order from the USA even though the part is made in Mexico)... Seems it was a short of something in the circuit. I am going to send tho old one to a re-builder for an opinion and a possible repair for a backup in the future.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,463 Posts
Glad they were able to get you going again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts