Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Battery light flashed engine died , everything dead , hooked up jumper cable and alternator started smoking . Replaced alt , timing belt and water pump as I have 200+ k and never changed .I know the battery is junk so I hooked jumper cable and horn honked and dash lights flashed and starter just clicks . I know the motor isn’t locked up because it turned fine by hand after timing belt replaced. Any ideas ? Could the shorted alternator burn up the starter ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Make sure you have a good battery that is fully charged. Most jumper cables are crap! They are too small a gauge wire to start a car if the battery is totally dead.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you're battery is fully charged and/or you have very good jumper cables then your starter is probably bad. But I would make sure your battery is good before you do anything else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you're battery is fully charged and/or you have very good jumper cables then your starter is probably bad. But I would make sure your battery is good before you do anything else.
Thanks for the help, that’s what it was . I know better but this car has done some wierd things electrical before and I was super frustrated. Most of my experience is with non computer cars . Next time I will follow my instincts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts