Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 Nitro 4.0 some times the starter sticks and I have to turn key off and try again. I have replaced ignition switch and locksmith said my key switch is good, he said replace starter relay under the hood, I have ask the Dodge dealer and they said bring it in they would check it out. But it only do'es it some times and the dealer wants to see it happen, it might be a month before it happens again and I am not leaving it at the dealer that long. Any info would be great, thanks

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,142 Posts
Welcome to the forum @dblyarjr. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section (<click this) and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.
By starter "sticks" what do you mean. Keeps turning after the rig starts? Starts to turn then stops?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It just cranks and I turn the key back off and do it again and it starts right up, just put new ignition switch on steering column, and putting in new starter relay. Hope that works.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It just cranks and I turn the key back off and do it again and it starts right up, just put new ignition switch on steering column, and putting in new starter relay. Hope that works.
I had the exact same problem with mine but never got it checked out. All I ever do now is turn key over and give it about 10 seconds then start it. Let me know if you find a fix. Thanks!

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,142 Posts
Dead or dying fuel pump, leaking check valve, leaking injector letting air back into the fuel rail.
Usually the "key dance" will get the rig running. Key on, do not try to start, key off, repeat 2 more times, then start.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dead or dying fuel pump, leaking check valve, leaking injector letting air back into the fuel rail.
Usually the "key dance" will get the rig running. Key on, do not try to start, key off, repeat 2 more times, then start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the starter relay did not work, so I will try the key dance, I am just going to wait till it quits running then I will know what to fix, thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 08 Nitro 4.0 some times the starter sticks and I have to turn key off and try again. I have replaced ignition switch and locksmith said my key switch is good, he said replace starter relay under the hood, I have ask the Dodge dealer and they said bring it in they would check it out. But it only do'es it some times and the dealer wants to see it happen, it might be a month before it happens again and I am not leaving it at the dealer that long. Any info would be great, thanks
Don’t turn the key all the way and when you hear the starter then it will do it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I need the key cylinder replaced, when I turn the key sometimes it won't come back by it's self, it sticks, stay tuned I will let you know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts