Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there guys, i have a 2007 nitro r/t,...... in the last couple of months i notice something pretty weird and very annoying. When i first star the nitro in the morning every is normal, it starts normal, all is good for now...., but almost after every ride of more than 30 minutes when i shut it off and start it back on it kept crancking more than usual, and it does it with the remote starter too....,
i have been looking all around for similar problems like this but havent see anything yet....., any help, any info on this pleaseee....!!!!
Thanks to allll!!!

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,214 Posts
By "kept cranking" what do you mean?
After the engine starts, the starter keeps going? Or it takes it longer to start the engine?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,214 Posts
Approximately how long does it crank? 5-10 seconds, or more like 30 seconds to 1 minute?
It should fire right up, just like on a cold start. So it might be worth a trip to a dealer to see what is going on...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it takes like 4 to 6 seconds..... and i dont know what to do with it... its really annoying.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,214 Posts
That is longer then normal. But it won't hurt anything except maybe the lifespan of the battery and/or the starter.
Next time you drive it, I want you to try something and get back with the results.
Drive it a distance this normally occurs, park it, turn off the radio, shut down the Nitro, and do your business like you normally would.

When you come back to the Nitro, put the key in and turn it to the "Run" position but do not start it!

In this position the fuel pump and other electrical components will run. Your instrument lights will also do a self check.
What I need you to do durring this time, is to listen for the hum from the fuel pump (you should hear it behind you, it is in the fuel tank), and mentally take note of how long it runs. It will turn off when adequate pressure is reached.
Once you hear the pump turn off, try to start the rig. Let us know if it starts normally, or if there is still an extended cranking.

You can also do the same thing before a cold start, and compare how long the fuel pump runs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Recently had that problem. My car would occasionally have trouble starting (taking about 4-5 seconds to start). One night i stopped and turned the car off for about 2 minutes while i was waiting for a friend and then couldnt start it back up. After bringing it to the dealership where i bought it it turned to be my radio causing problems. They said it was never properly powering down when i turned the car off causing a power draw which in turn totally killed my battery and somehow caused electrical problems with my A/C (which stopped working the day before my car died). Had a new radio unit installed from the factory and now it starts on a dime everytime and my a/c works awesome. Probably the last thing i would expect to cause problems.

P.S. If your not under warranty it will cost you around 800 bucks to have that replaced. Luckily i had just bought the car used about 3 weeks before that so that had no problem covering the expenses being that i didnt have my license plates on it yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hope that I have found the solution to this problem with the Nitros not starting but staying in the crank position had my Nitro shut down on me 3x and has left me at the mall the parts store and even at work my first idea was to change the crank and camshaft sensors after the first time and left me stranded and that didn't work after reading all of these comments I came to the conclusion that there was simply no fuel pressure or little fuel pressure that's why our vehicles are starting sometimes and others not fuel pressure was sporadic in my vehicle that's why it wouldn't crank sometimes I took my vehicle to a mechanic here in Virginia and when he replaced my fuel pump he found that the pump itself had broken into three pieces one of the pieces was shorter than the other and was not able to suck up fuel when there was no fuel in the tank because it was broken it was sucking a lot of air and that's where I got the vacuum leak code I'm more than sure that this is solved the problem I hope that this helps.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,214 Posts
Good info to know Teniente.
Thanks for sharing with us. A Pic would be great.
We have another member here who could not start their rig if it was parked on his steep driveway when the tank was low on fuel. It is possible his situation was the same,

BTW;
Welcome to the forum.

When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

·
Registered
2 Posts
12/15/2016-** PROB SOLVED **** STARTER KEEPS CRANKING ISSUE / ****** I drive 2008 Dodge Nitro 3.7 ** Had same issue, starter kept cranking, had to try 2 or 3 times to turn over. I went to my mechanic late Friday, did a few tests and my Fuel Pump needed replaced. The new pump installed yesterday and, no more issues. Heres a quick fix to the prob.....when you go to start engine, only turn key to acc position, then turn key back off, wait a few seconds. DO THIS AT LEAST 3 TIMES... then start your engine as normal. It should kick right over. It worked everytime the last 4 days until I had part installed. Let me know if this works for others please. (acc position is where all the lights come on dashboard).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Trooper Dan, thank you so much for this post!! :D I was on my 2nd re-conditioned starter install, and same issue happened! The saddest part is that it would never happen with a mechanic! They ordered a factory starter this time, and as I was trying to leave, it happened, finally, for the mechanic. he said it is the fuel pump. waiting to have it changed now. SO just to verify , it was the starter staying engaged, without the engine correct?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just wanted to post my experience on this thread as well. I had the exact same problem. Except mine wasn't fuel related. New tank, pump, spark plugs and a few other pieces. What needed up being the fix for me and another member here ended up being the camshaft position sensor. It's under the alternator and it's like a $12 part. Anytime my fiancés nitro was warmed up it took 5-6 seconds of cranking to start. I replaced it 2 days ago and and it's fired right up every single time since then. That was the only thing I have replaced other than the serpentine belt. Hope this helps anyone else having this problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I replaced my ignition coils, spark plugs, but car still stuck in crank... I step on the gas to try and start it but it still wont turn on... It feels like its about tp start up but then shuts off... When ot does turn on it sounds like theres something clicking.. And tjere enhine leaking into my air intake... Can someone help me out???!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello I am a new Canadian member to the Nitro forum family. I have an 08 Nitro R/T, and was having the same crank issues as other members. First we changed the crank sensor, after about a day the problem came back. We then changed the cam sensor, its been about 2 wks. and haven't had any crank issues since. Hopefully this helps somebody out there!

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,214 Posts
Welcome to the forum Canpackfan97. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

Hello I am a new Canadian member to the Nitro forum family. I have an 08 Nitro R/T, and was having the same crank issues as other members. First we changed the crank sensor, after about a day the problem came back. We then changed the cam sensor, its been about 2 wks. and haven't had any crank issues since. Hopefully this helps somebody out there!
Keep us posted on how it goes. Hope this will do it for you, so you can enjoy your ride again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm having this same problem but it seems to be intermitted for me
Sometimes I get a normal crank and sometimes I get a extended crank
Fuel pump was tested and is working normally (even if the vehicle did the extended crank when we were testing it)
No Check Engine Light on dash or codes when checked with OBD II scanner
Was wondering if the camshaft sensor or the crankshaft sensor can be the problem if there's no engine codes ?
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did your Check engine light come on or did u find any codes in the computer that said camshaft sensor or crankshaft sensor?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts