Dodge Nitro Forum banner
81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well, pushing the accelerator and letting it up has been working pretty good, but now I have a check engine light. Maybe that'll shed some light on it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Nitronaut, I've done 3 fuel pumps, 1 cam sensor, 3 crank sensors and new copper plugs but the same problem your experiencing still persists in ours. I haven't changed any injectors yet but we live in northwestern Pennsylvania and all winter long the problem is for the most part gone but during the summer months it's much more prevalent so my next move on this problem is going to be heat wrapping the fuel rails like you though about doing. My instincts told me this from the beginning. I'm not sure if it's the right move but it's gonna rule out or confirm vapor lock. Our nitro is otherwise a great running vehicle.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
The CEL will give you a code. Then go from there. But it may be totally unrelated...

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
147 Posts
MY problem remains the same all year. Weather doesn't seem to affect it.
I'll get the cel code tomorrow, but the light went back out.
Has anyone tried the MAP or MAF sensor?

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
12 Posts
The only CEL I'm getting is a typical o2 sensor that needs replacing but the engine runs strong and idles smooth. No code for anything else that would help with this intermittent start problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I haven't replaced my MAP or MAF sensors but I think the on board diagnostics would lead you to any problems with those sensors.

·
Registered
62 Posts
MY problem remains the same all year. Weather doesn't seem to affect it.
I'll get the cel code tomorrow, but the light went back out.
Has anyone tried the MAP or MAF sensor?
I will check when I am back in town what the sensor was that was changed. Were you able to see what the code was in the history?? Nitro has never left me stranded. It always starts when I retry after extended crank. It hasn't "extended cranked" in about a month. It raises my blood pressure every time it does. All the threads, all the great ideas, but still nothing solid. As I said in the beginning of my post years ago, you do something and you think you have resolved it and then six months later it happens again. I know nothing, certainly not a mechanic, but I'm a very good researcher and question ask-er! And being that mine has never thrown a code seems to make it very difficult to resolve.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Unfortunately, the reader couldn't connect, seems there's a problem with my under dash wiring.

Reactions: Andrea

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had the issue for a couple years now, I get around it with the "key dance", never really bothered me to do much about it as it has never not started but I figured I would look into it. I have 235,000 miles on mine, so end of its life anyhow. Talking with a mechanic of mine he said some Chevy and Honda models were notorious for this. The starter solenoid was getting too hot. The fix was to wrap the starter in a heat shield. Not sure if this helps but figured I would mention it as I have not read this fix yet nor have I tried it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm not sure if you understand the actual issue. The starter is spinning the motor, it's just that it takes much longer to actually start.
Since mine will start if I depress and release the throttle pedal while cranking, I decided to replace the MAP sensor. I'll do that tomorrow, and see if it makes any difference.
If not, I will try the IAT sensor.
After that cam and crank sensor, if none of that works, I guess I'll just live with it.
I checked my spark plugs, all look good, so I'm pretty sure I don't have an injector issue.

Reactions: Scar0

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not sure if you understand the actual issue. The starter is spinning the motor, it's just that it takes much longer to actually start.
Since mine will start if I depress and release the throttle pedal while cranking, I decided to replace the MAP sensor. I'll do that tomorrow, and see if it makes any difference.
If not, I will try the IAT sensor.
After that cam and crank sensor, if none of that works, I guess I'll just live with it.
I checked my spark plugs, all look good, so I'm pretty sure I don't have an injector issue.
What ever happened?
Did anything fix the cranking issue?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I replaced the MAP and IAT with no change. I have not done anything else to it yet. I need to take it down to the local electronic wizards to take care of a couple electronic gremlins, then I will get back after the starting issue. One thing I may do is replace the ignition switch in the steering column. I am having a couple issues that may be caused by it, for instance it doesn't shut off immediately when I turn the key off, and the warning bells ding away when I open the door, as if the key is still in it, or the lights are on.

·
Registered
62 Posts
What ever happened?
Did anything fix the cranking issue?
There is no solution to this problem, the "extended crank". Until someone posts that they took whatever action and did not get an extended crank for at least a year, then I say there is no solution. I have followed several threads, talked with several mechanics, changed sensor etc. And because it isn't something you can replicate, it is difficult to solve. Someone may do something, think it is fixed because it doesn't do it for a few weeks and then it returns. Mine hasn't done it in months, could it do it today? Yes...I would key dance it, and it has always started. Does the key dance work? I don't know, could be a coincidence because I am sure there's been an instance in all these years when I didn't do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi there guys, i have a 2007 nitro r/t,...... in the last couple of months i notice something pretty weird and very annoying. When i first star the nitro in the morning every is normal, it starts normal, all is good for now...., but almost after every ride of more than 30 minutes when i shut it off and start it back on it kept crancking more than usual, and it does it with the remote starter too....,
i have been looking all around for similar problems like this but havent see anything yet....., any help, any info on this pleaseee....!!!!
Thanks to allll!!!
Same issue on my 2011 Nitro Heat

81 - 97 of 97 Posts