Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, now to go along with my "Auto Trans Issue" (in another thread) I am now noticing that the steering wheel makes a faint clicking sound when turning in either direction. I usually have the radio on, so I haven't noticed it until today when I had the radio off to be able to talk to my wife. I was driving slowly in a parking lot and could hear the clicking every time I mad a slow turn. Any one else have this issue?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I haven't noticed it in the Nitro (probably because I only had it a few hours before it had to go back to the service dept). But this was a problem in my 05 Grand Cherokee that I traded in on the Nitro. On the Jeep there was a recall for the clicking - so I am sure if it is a similiar problem there will be one for the Nitro too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No clicking but...

I have almost 1800Km on mine and the steering wheel squeaks every time you turn a corner. I need to go back to the dealer anyway because I have multiple problems. I had the remote starter installed and it will just stop and start on it's own when you use the remote. I also have the problem with the transmission shifting hard from 1-2, and the shudder at 60Km/h.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Take it to the dealer, they had the same problem w/daks a couple years ago. It was called a clock spring or something of that nature. simple for the dealer to repair, not something you want to try in your driveway though.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Take it to the dealer, they had the same problem w/daks a couple years ago. It was called a clock spring or something of that nature. simple for the dealer to repair, not something you want to try in your driveway though.
Danpfay is right, its the clockspring. Recommend installing Clockspring part Number 68003217AB.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
NitroLarry. I think you are great at posting inportant information that helps us Nitro owners. I gave you a rep point too. Keep up the good work. Thanks, David

Now if you could tell me how to get the kinks out of my 750 Edlebrock carb on my 440.....
Big Thanks on the rep point!! I will try to help and be informative as much as I can.

I can help with your 440.......bolt up a Six-Pack!!! Feed that Big Block TONS of fuel and air!!! :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
clicking

I noticed the clicking this afternoon although it was done before I had a chance to figure out where the noise had come from. Tommorow when I drive I'm going to listen when turning slow and see if I hear it. I heard it for only about 10 sec's and it was gone. I have about 9000 miles on my nitro

·
Registered
789 Posts
I took mine in for it, the tech 2 times has said there is no noise and no problem.... Driving away from the dealership both times, get the springlike clicking sound.....
Sounds like it's time for you to go driving with the service advisor and let him hear what you are talking about ... if you haven't already.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
:D LOL.

No, I can hear it sitting in the normal driving position at only low speeds when turning. Like I said, its very very faint.
Me too...but I have to turn the radio right off or I don't even notice it. Taking it in next week for a few things so I'm going to get them to check the clockspring while it's there
Like CuriousG mentioned the cause is from the clockspring. However, there is a level of ambient noise that if you have to turn stuff off to hear it and really focus to listen for it, this is considered a normal noise of operation and may not be determined faulty.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.