Stereo Cuts In And Out

Discussion in 'Dodge Nitro Electrical Problems and Questions' started by Snowturtle, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Snowturtle

Snowturtle New Member

Vehicle:
    Nitro
    Trim:
    Heat
    Color:
    Bright Silver Metallic
    I have a 2011 Nitro Heat and am experiencing a stereo problem - it just started cutting out. It stays on for 3 seconds then cuts out for 2 seconds, repeats that cycle endlessly. Wash, rinse, repeat. Do I have an amplifier in this car that may be going out or overheating? The issue is too even to be a shorted wire that jostles, especially since it happens the same whether moving or stopped, engine running or not. All 4 speakers work when I use fader and balance to single them out.

Any suggestions? thanks

2. Scar0

Scar0 Khaki Nitro Nut Moderator Member Relations NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    Welcome to the forum Snowturtle. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".
    Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
    That way we can welcome you all proper like.

First you need to figure out where the problem lies. Take the Amp out of the loop and test just the radio direct to a speaker.

3. Snowturtle

Snowturtle New Member

Vehicle:
    Nitro
    Trim:
    Heat
    Color:
    Bright Silver Metallic
    Can you tell me where the amp is located in this car? Does my basic Heat model even have an amp?

4. Scar0

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    Sorry, I misread your first post. I thought you said you had an Amp.
    Assuming you have a factory radio setup; If you have a Sub-woofer, you have an Amp. Both are in the RR quarter panel behind the rear seat. No Sub, no Amp, unless an after market one was installed.

If you do not have an OEM Sub/ Amp, then the internal amp in the radio is on its way out(shot). Or there is a short in one of the wires to a speaker or possibly a speaker itself. Thus causing the system to be overloaded, shutting it off.

5. Snowturtle

Snowturtle New Member

Vehicle:
    Nitro
    Trim:
    Heat
    Color:
    Bright Silver Metallic
    All 4 speakers seem to work correctly when singled out, do I have tweeters up at the top of the dash or are those just in the higher models? It doesn't seem like any sound is coming from them. I guess I'll expose the speakers and disconnect them one at a time just to double check. Thanks for the help.

6. Snowturtle

Snowturtle New Member

Vehicle:
    Nitro
    Trim:
    Heat
    Color:
    Bright Silver Metallic
    If I replace my stereo, is it a normal Double DIN size or do I need an adapter faceplate of some kind? This factory stereo seems to have a curved front and looks pretty wide. But, then again, I have no experience with Double DIN stereos...

7. Scar0

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    A Double din will fit. You may need a face plate adapter to fit the new head unit. And a wire harness adapter if you plan on using the OEM wires. You may also need brackets to mount the new HU.
    Most on-line shops can tell you what all you need. Many members here have found Crutchfield to be a really good site to use.
    I'm still running the OME HU, so all I can do is refer to what others here have posted.

8. Snowturtle

Snowturtle New Member

Vehicle:
    Nitro
    Trim:
    Heat
    Color:
    Bright Silver Metallic
    Thanks

Scar0 likes this.